When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another "Museum quality" Phantom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Wrong pedals, saddle, chain ring, reflector, fork, chainguard white stripes look like pinstripe TAPE also...should be painted

Last edited:
It would be a sorry museum and an imcompetent curator who would accept this into a "museum" collection. I also find it hard to believe this would be one of Evan Hatchers restorations. Maybe he does have a brother or son named Oren? V/r Shawn
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Schwin...351?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9c7a5387

Did the seller edit the listing? Can't find "Museum quality" anywhere in that link to e-bay sale..

Albeit from the appearance of that bike, IF the frame is a 51 everything else looks like all repop parts. You can see the sticker on the tank too, if that's not a repop tank it's got a trimmed Schwinn glued on sticker and an un-popped air bubble too. I do like the 1980's 'Studded Balloon' though they are tough to find tires and they match the later style of the spring fork as well. .

"Totally restored" does disclose but, at current ask or buy-it now price; It's definitely a buyer beware item for sale, to be sure.

What do you make Shawn, repoped 51 @? 900-1,200?

Last edited:
To his credit he did edit the listing after I pointed out the things wrong with this bike. V/r Shawn

well......it depends on how long ago Evan restored it,its listed on mpls cr for $2200.00, thats aways under the cost of Evans cost years ago....things change

well......it depends on how long ago Evan restored it,its listed on mpls cr for $2200.00, thats aways under the cost of Evans cost years ago....things change
well there ya go, the deal is dependant on how well the restoration paint was performed and at what time frame.

I know 1 fer sure, I used to restore solid colored schwinns as a kid,, but,, attempting Schwinn's higher quality bikes was a task that's very difficult to accomplish..

When fashion kicks up prices and demand for restoration, many points of interest can be overlooked by the rush crowd..
Of 1 main reason I enjoy the 1995 phantom repo frame, despite it being made with crap metal is because of the difficulty to put a pinstripe on and come out as well as was done on them..

even here as you've said,, it was a high priced restoration, but it has just exactly what I'd fear were I to attempt it; on this white over the red and black border top bar stripe..

I seriously doubt I could ever stripe this well but, even if I could I wouldn't because, just a touch of a shaky hand spoils the fun:

_12JPGrtnc-3.jpg

It takes years of practice to get this good, and much more to copy the hands of their factory workers. Not time I'd considered I could afford were I to attempt myself.

Last edited:
looks like one of Evan decals,he had his own made as he was tired of the ones avalible,his were thiker,and ya he could stripe as good as the factory,i learned from him that alot of ppl stipped compleatly arond the front down tube,the factory left an open spot of stripping there

I have a couple of Evans restorations and the striping is about the best I've ever seen. It appears the guard of this bike has tape on it though? V/r Shawn

I have a couple of Evans restorations and the striping is about the best I've ever seen. It appears the guard of this bike has tape on it though? V/r Shawn

The horizontal stripe on the tank looks like tape too. I've had times in art where one day my hand was smooth as silk, and then the very next day while my confidence was high, everything I touched was shaky crap.. LOL.. albeit, nobody noticed but me, yet still, this guys shake is way better than those days of mine. .

However, his hand is smooth and steady on the lower bar pin-stripe,, that's what would fear me the most, the top bar stripe, a shake there separates the killers from the boys and girls club. It's not how you play pool, or chess for that matter, it's knocking in that 8 ball and or capturing the king time after time after time. Making the point when/where it counts the most. . .

Last edited:
Back