When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hub Cleaning

-

wrongway

I live for the CABE
How would you go about cleaning this hub? The rim is true, the spokes are fine and it seems to shift just fine. I'd rather not tear it all apart. I thought about warm water and soap sprayed over it. I also thought about brake cleaner. I've never seen anything this greasy and messy on a bike!
HUB.jpg

I use WD-40 to pre-soak and break down the grease and then switch over to carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner and an old toothbrush to get in the tight spots.

That "grease" is actually dirt &oil that has "fossilized" over many years.
As such, it will be ridiculously difficult to remove. Brake cleaner, if used first, would only make it even more difficult to remove. Get a can of Engine Brite (and follow the directions on the can) first, and follow that up with Brakleen, to get anything that remains. Be mindful of painted surfaces when using the latter.

Last edited:
Scrape off the worst of it with a popsicle stick, then wrap it pretty tightly with rags and saturate them with solvent-keep it wet! Anything similar to paint thinner or white spirits will work. I actually like the CARB compliant paint thinner. If you are using a cleaner/degreaser look for one with butoxyethanol or butyl ether in the mix. Or buy the straight stuff and brew your own. Let it soak for a few days, keeping the poultice wet. The remaining goo should come off by rubbing with long thin rags. If not, repeat the process. They are usually pretty nice under the crust.

I use this stuff now.
GUNK HYDRO SEAL II
Has a strainer basket. Throw what needs cleaning in the basket and let soak few a couple of days. Blow with an air nozzle to remove most of the solution after it has dried for a day or so.
I was amazed how clean it got some of my oldest grease gunked bike parts up. Especially my hub parts. Mainly I use it to soak all my dirty bearings.

ad647235303f030192db3d8a2fd7a4e2-1.jpg

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Last edited:
I'm curious how Brake Cleaner would make it more difficult to remove...?
It removes any trace of remaining oil, and the stuff then completely solidifies (if it hadn't already) Conversely, re-introducing oil into the mix, softens it.

Go to Harbor Freight and get their brushes.I spray with a degreaser from the dollar store.It is the part of cleaning I dislike the most.

I deal with worse messes at work when refurbing industrial machines. I could clean that up in less than 20 minutes with kerosene and one of those throw away $0.25 two inch brushes from home depot. Pour a little in a pan and start brushing it on.

I deal with worse messes at work when refurbing industrial machines. I could clean that up in less than 20 minutes with kerosene and one of those throw away $0.25 two inch brushes from home depot. Pour a little in a pan and start brushing it on.

Ha! You taught me this one buddy. 10 minutes tops!

Back