When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Varnish on bare metal?

-

Boris

Old fat tired rider
I had to drill out a rim for 120 gauge spokes and would like to protect the bare metal walls of the new holes from rusting. Question: In lieu of going to the store and the expense of buying a clear coat, Will the artists oil painting varnish that I do have on hand protect in the same way as a clear coat would? There is the odd chance that this wheel could be exposed to moisture every once in a while.

Hi Dave...Use this

Hi Dave,
There is only one product to use. It is NYALIC by Eastwood. I have been restoring classic cars, bikes etc. for over 40 years, and this is what all professionals use.
This is as thin as water, and can be applied with a soft brush. You can purchase this online from the Eastwood Company. Eastwood makes and sells the best restoration products.
One can of this will last a lifetime. I have used this to coat over polished brass, copper, steel, aluminum etc. It does not have a thick coat so it actually runs into the recesses
to protect even the hidden areas. The best way to use this is to do it outdoors on a warm day for faster drying. Buy a soft "Artists" brush from A.C. Moore for a few bucks.
Apply only one coat to a warm metal surface, and you are done. There is no build up and it will never yellow or change the color of the parts you are coating. They may even sell this in a Rattle can.
Don't use any varnish or other clear coatings. They are too thick and deliver poor adhesion. Also, you don't need very much, so just buy the smallest size Eastwood offers. I have a quart for years, and it is still over half full.
Good luck...................Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    675.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Dave,Use clear spray enamel.Its only about $3 a can at Menards,Ace,etc.

I've been using a product called Permalac that my metal sculptor friend gave me. It is very similar to the Nyalic that Wayne uses. Very thin, seems to penetrate the metal, great over patina'd metals. When I'm ready to purchase more, think I'll try the Nyalic, Eastwood makes some very good products.

Hi Dave,
There is only one product to use. It is NYALIC by Eastwood. I have been restoring classic cars, bikes etc. for over 40 years, and this is what all professionals use. Good luck...................Wayne

Accordingly, Eastwood Discontinued Nyalic near 15 years ago. So, indeed, that can lasts a long time.

http://forum.eastwood.com/showthread.php?3750-Looking-for-Eastwood-Product

However, Nyalic is still available: http://www.nyalic.com/

100 bucks a quart: http://www.nyalic.com/product/nyalic-quart-32-oz--/

Last edited:
Usually I just put a bit of lube on the hole after im done reaming it out. I would think if you just greased up your nipples it would achieve the desired results. I'm sure Vince could help you grease your nipples if you weren't sure how to go about it..

Usually I just put a bit of lube on the hole after im done reaming it out. I would think if you just greased up your nipples it would achieve the desired results. I'm sure Vince could help you grease your nipples if you weren't sure how to go about it..

As always, "The Master of the Double Entendre". One could easily have jumped to the conclusion that you were talking about bicycle parts. Well done!

Back