When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is it ?

-

randallace

Finally riding a big boys bike
Ok - a guy at work whom knows I'm into bikes brought me in an old " racing bike" his next door lady friend was gonna throw away - I know it's schwinn, and the serial number looks to be from 1963 ? If I read that right - I can't find any head tube markings or other stamping to indicate that it's a later giant made bike - could it be a paramount ? I know the gt100 derailer is a shimano made , and introduced later (1970's) and belongs on the japan bikes, so I assume this is Japanese made ?

Looks like someone sanded to the metal and primed and painted it - but I think the yellow in the serial numbers might be the orig color ? Which is not at all consistant with a 1963 bike - the previous owner was obviously trying to make it look like a trek , with the bontrager tires, bar wrap, the trek decals I peeled off, ect .... LOL

image_zpscmptozps-1.jpg

image_zpsgu2hkdfb-1.jpg

image_zpsm7ucxvqj-1.jpg

image_zpscc19ppxc-1.jpg

image_zpshjk2dcmr-1.jpg

Last edited:
That is a 1972 World Traveler, which was available in Kool Lemon, Opaque Blue and Opaque Green. It was the very first imported Schwinn, made by Panasonic in Japan. It was also a very low-end bike, basically a lugged Varsinental. Here is a more original one that recently sold on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161574882545

Last edited:
Interesting to see a one piece crank and side pull brakes on a lugged frame. Possible Le Tour converted to a Varsity? :confused:

Ok - a guy at work whom knows I'm into bikes brought me in an old " racing bike" his next door lady friend was gonna throw away - I know it's schwinn, and the serial number looks to be from 1963 ? If I read that right - I can't find any head tube markings or other stamping to indicate that it's a later giant made bike - could it be a paramount ? I know the gt100 derailer is a shimano made , and introduced later (1970's) and belongs on the japan bikes, so I assume this is Japanese made ?

Looks like someone sanded to the metal and primed and painted it - but I think the yellow in the serial numbers might be the orig color ? Which is not at all consistant with a 1963 bike - the previous owner was obviously trying to make it look like a trek , with the bontrager tires, bar wrap, the trek decals I peeled off, ect .... LOL

Bicycles from Japan will have serial numbers located on the left, rear axle hanger, on the bottom bracket shell or on the lower section of the headlug. The number will have a production month letter in either the first or second position and a production year number in the other (first or second) position. Examples: J677123 = September, 1976. http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

H203095 July 1972 cause by 82 they did not use that chain ring, and higher grade models have center pull brakes.

Last edited:
Ok - so what am I missing so I can get a list together of stuff I need

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't spend any money on this bike unless cost is not an issue. Just ride it like it is or, at most, give it a nice rattle can job. V/r Shawn

Back