When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Aluminum really clean rust off and polish chrome? Final answer:

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
YES!

Most have heard and tried Aluminum on rusty chrome. I've read about it and tried on repop phantom bars and what? it didn't help.

Ya suppose-ta take a 3" X 3" sheet of foil, wet it and give it the rub-a-dub. Recently I acquired a barn fresh 1955 Deluxe hornet and have been waiting for some Oxalic acid to arrive for bathing. However I figured I'd give the sheet of foil another try. Ah, it began to work a little but kept shredding. I went back to search the net, read this for probably the umpteenth time and discovered a part I'd missed. http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html

Get a larger sheet and wad it so, I went for an 12" X 12", wadded it into a comfortable 3" ball and dipped in water. It made all the difference in the world. As it turns out; by wadding, it wrinkles and those become the scrub brush, scouring pad. The tighter the wrinkles the better it works. Takes a minute or two to get it working, and get a gray color begin to appear. I used 3, 3" X 3" sheets with little results but the wadded sheet lasted on both sides of the handle bar. Toward the end it eventually turned into a little finger sized wad, which was the end of that.

I should have taken a before shot of the right side because, it was twice or more worse than the left. It worked so well, I decided to get camera.

Photoshoped a bunch of before, during and after pictures. Elbow grease not included:

Rust-cleaing-W-Alumium-foil.jpg

Last edited:
aluminum foil

here is more proof it really works well,adding a little chrome polish with the foil also helps a lot on the really heavy rust, and don't give up on the heavy rust i had some rims and a crank i thought had no chrome left on them but i kept adding a little chrome polish to the foil and that thick dark heavy rust just kept coming off

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 183
Back