When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar motorbike I'd?? Help?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Antney

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Just picked this up this evening. Has a Latonia badge from Arkansas? 26" triple drop rims and stainless gutter fenders. H chain ring makes me think Hawthorne ?? Is it supposed to have a tank? Thanks for any help...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 275
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 263
Chainring, paint, fork point to H.P. Snyder as the manufacturer. Probably from around 34-36. It's possible it had a toolbox tank, they fit that frame. Any marks on top tube from clamps used to hold tank?

Latonia was not specific to any brand. The Latonia was a private label bicycle distributed by the Boren Bicycle Company, which was operated by a father and son team (Ben E. Boren, Sr. and Ben E. Boren Jr.) from 1929 to 1957. The bike above is HP Snyder/DP Harris built (Rollfast). Here is a pic of my '37/'38 Schwinn with a Latonia badge:

353F40E59FE54DC89642F2A466AAB5BC_zpskxho-1.jpg

i have a 34 hawthorne motobike and a mid 30s rollfast motobike and both of em had horizontal mounting holes for the headbadge. I know Snyder made excelsiors from 34-38 and they had vertical mounting holes on the headtube. I'm just a bike hoarder not an expert but I thought I'd chime in. That bike does have the black and red paint scheme of a mid 30s excelsior.

Thanks Ohdebee, good info....Miami was long gone by then but they did build Latonia badged bikes.

My understanding is that Boren Bicycle Co. would buy bikes and bike parts wholesale, probably pre-drilled for their badges and then do the final assembly in house. I had another article on them but I think it was saved on my old computer. Their is no specific brand or manufacturer tied to Latonia or Boren badges. Miami may have sold bicycles with any manner of configuration to Boren/Latonia, but it is unlikely that they were exclusive or specific to that badge. As was the case with Snyder, Schwinn, etc.

Back