When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Metacortex

-

Eric Amlie

Wore out three sets of tires already!
You are the only one that I know of that might know the answer to this.

I'm presently building up the blue '62 Superior frameset that I got from Schwinn499.
I need to pick brake levers for the bike. Looking at the early Weinmann levers with the circular logo I'm finding three different types as shown in the photo. Might you know which one would be most correct for this bike?

Attachments

• P1000420 (Large).jpg
    P1000420 (Large).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 191
5124847081e12c3651c1ae9d01124012-1.jpg

Eric, these are the originals on my terra cotta 62...probably the same....the ones with the logo at the top are earlier ones IIRC ... i have a set the same off a 61 paramount. From what ive read, i think weinmann changed some stuff in the 61-62 transition. Im sure Metacortex will have some more detailed information for us both...

On another note...anyone know why my images posted with tapatalk are always sideways?

One more for thoughts. My August 62 Varsity has the ones on the far right with the logo at the top. I agree Scott will know more.

Thanks Cody!
Those are the ones I'm going to go with then. It's fortunate because that is the style I have the most of and it will make it easier to find a set in decent condition.

Interesting that the same year Varsity used the earlier style lever.

I would definitely go with the middle ones based on Cody's advice and example. I do see from the '62 and '64 dealer parts catalogs that the logo at the top was used on the earlier levers, and the logo had to be moved down by '64 to accommodate the quick-release button/tab (for '63 and earlier the QR mech. was in the cable hangers). I believe they would have moved the logo on all levers at the same time whether they were QR levers or not. I also believe that the inclusion of "patent" below the logo indicates an earlier lever than one without it. So of the 3 levers pictured I believe they are ordered from latest to earliest left to right.

Varsity levers were purchased under a different part number due to them having a smaller (7/8" or 22.2mm) clamp. As the Varsity was the best selling lightweight Schwinn may have had a large number of those levers in stock well after new ones for the other bikes may have come with the logo position changed.

a few more examples for thought..

60 conti edit: just realized I put 61?? its a 60...
11832167746_84e122b6bc_c-1.jpg

62 superior
11811215894_98463f9246_c-1.jpg

63 varsity
11884074623_e136a33990_c-1.jpg

Last edited:
Had to go look at a couple of my fleet. My 62 Continental has the levers like Cody's 61 Continental. My 63 Sierra has levers like on the Superior and Varsity. I couldn't get to my 63 Varsity...

Nice bikes BTW Cody!

I also believe that the inclusion of "patent" below the logo indicates an earlier lever than one without it.

Not that I doubt you, but I'm wondering what your reasoning is for this.

Thanks, Scott, and everybody else, for chiming in!

Not that I doubt you, but I'm wondering what your reasoning is for this.

No problem Eric! I encourage doubt, especially when I'm not 100% sure. In this case my reasoning would be based on the observation that the "patent" designation was removed from the ~'64 red button QR levers sometime during their production and was not found on any subsequent levers. From that knowledge my guess would be the non-QR levers without the "patent" designation would have to be '64 or later.

~'64 style Weinmann quick-release levers w/o "patent" logo designation:
img_6471_1200x800__075271411479170128012-1.jpg

~'64 style Weinmann quick-release levers, one with "patent" logo designation:
DSC029221-1.jpg

~'64 style Weinmann quick-release lever with "patent" logo designation (on a late '63 Paramount:(
63paramount013-1.jpg

Back