When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 Monark Silver King

-

bikiba

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Now that i sold off my wood wheeled bike from 1898.. this is the eldest of the fleet. 1936-ish?? Monark built SilverKing.

- i added a new-ish seat. i have the original [ i think ] some where in the garage or at least period correct
- missing a truss rod bolt [ i have no idea where i am going to get that ]
- missing a tiny screw and nut for the chainguard clamp...i will just add any machine screw and nut
- missing the battery tube setup for the front light ...
- missing the original left pedal.
- tires are probably from the 50s they say made in japan :)
- morrow hub needs a servicing. i have to spin the crank a full rotation before it engages.
- did this one have a chain guard?

it is a 24" bike and even for a shorty like me is not that comfy. im going to have to bump up the seat post.

I didn't clean it a bit yet. I am super pumped to shine it up!! For an 80 year old bike it is fantastic .

some more pix in the "bucket"

IMG2015042600059_zps8uxm7xzu-1.jpg

IMG2015042600054_zpsshdigtyz-1.jpg

Last edited:
I would say it's solid early '36. There is great variety within '36 with very minor changes from badge to lugs to seat post and even truss rod size varients from within same year.

Great survivor!

I would say it's solid early '36. There is great variety within '36 with very minor changes from badge to lugs to seat post and even truss rod size varients from within same year.

Great survivor!

so i checked out the morrow hub and it is stamped E3... March 1935! Not saying this dates the bike.... but it has to be close!

E3 would be the third quarter of 1935. 3 refers to quarter of year not month. So your bike could be late 35, early 36. Kinda explains the mix of features.

any advice on what to do with this guard? I tried to straighten it a bit, used a degreaser first to clean it and then applied some royal jelly [ about 4-5 sessions ] It is looking better, but i am thinking about 30% of the way there. The underside is super rusted.

maybe i will try to find some oxalic acid.. It took me about an hour to get it to the after shot... =/

BEFORE
IMG2015043000068_zpsp0xnj7ff-1.jpg

AFTER
IMG2015043000085_zpsfwq5wo9e-1.jpg

Back