When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ann Arbor 2015: Disappointed this year

-

Stingman

Finally riding a big boys bike
This was my sixth year attending the Ann Arbor show and I must say I was not very impressed this year! Maybe it was just me but it seemed the prices seemed higher than usual and people would not deal at all! The weather was good, but the turn out seemed light and I did not notice any new vendors. I was also disappointed they did not have the bike auction either? These vendors were just asking crazy prices on bikes that were not even worth it. On the plus side, the show bikes were great! What was everyone's experience?

I saw over priced junk, but also found some really really good deals too. I spent "too much" due to good deals. I guess it depends on what you're looking for and if you can find it among all the other stuff.

My experience

Showing my thorough IN-experience in the hobby, I thought there were quite a few nice bikes cheaply priced. Think that just means I have over paid for the ones I have. I brought 4 to sell and not even a sniff. Think the bike corral was poorly set up. The sun shone all day but the wind was raw. Not sure if I will be back next year. Think it's time to wind down to just the bikes wife and I will ride. Still like working on them.....anything mechanical that I can do a hands on....

Mike

I had a great show. I sold EVERYTHING I brought to sell. And I do mean everything!

Just for the record, there were 52 new vendors at this year's show.

When our auctioneer retired(in his 80's), we have not found any licensed auctioneer willing to put on a $10 dollar, $5 back if it doesn't sell, first come first served auction like we had for many years. The auctioneers today want seller's fees and buyer premiums like car auction or they hang up the phone on you.

The bike corral is our attempt to service all the people who only have two or three bikes to sell at a reasonable cost without paying $40 for a swap space
Any constructive suggestions to improve the service would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if ANY MICHIGAN LICENSED AUCTIONEER will conduct on an auction as we had before, please contact me. I'm all ears.

Lastly, We could easily eliminate the Bike Corral completely and then we could use the space for vendor swap spaces.

Hope all who attended appreciated the hard work all our volunteers have done to keep this show going strong. Thanks, Paul

Fast and furious swap, awesome!!!!! Thank you Paul and staff.

There were 2 guys that went fishing in the same pond, one guy is skunked, the other is putting fish back.

Attachments

• 20150426_101238.jpg
    20150426_101238.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 20150426_101245.jpg
    20150426_101245.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 409
Just for the record, there were 52 new vendors at this year's show.

When our auctioneer retired(in his 80's), we have not found any licensed auctioneer willing to put on a $10 dollar, $5 back if it doesn't sell, first come first served auction like we had for many years. The auctioneers today want seller's fees and buyer premiums like car auction or they hang up the phone on you.

The bike corral is our attempt to service all the people who only have two or three bikes to sell at a reasonable cost without paying $40 for a swap space
Any constructive suggestions to improve the service would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if ANY MICHIGAN LICENSED AUCTIONEER will conduct on an auction as we had before, please contact me. I'm all ears.

Lastly, We could easily eliminate the Bike Corral completely and then we could use the space for vendor swap spaces.

Hope all who attended appreciated the hard work all our volunteers have done to keep this show going strong. Thanks, Paul

Paul, Thank you for all the work you do to put this show on. Thanks to Anne, and everyone else too! You do a great job!

Catfish

I can't complain between Memory Lane and Ann Arbor I sold 5 bikes and a lot of smalls. The only bikes I feel I had over priced was the ones I really didn't care if they sold or not. I also feel like I had all of my smalls priced cheap and really surprised more didn't sell. I was wheeling and dealing all day every day. One thing I wish I had done different was instead of being inside all day I would have rather been outside at Ann Arbor.
It was really crowded inside. I had 3 people knock my bikes over into someone else's bikes and not one of them apologized. Really rude people.
I had to apologize to the people That my bikes fell into and by the third time I thought I was going to have to buy them. I was setup at the end of the building and people was using my booth to cut through to the other side, instead of just walking outside the building and around to the other side. I was really crowded inside, Not saying that wasn't a good thing but if you have a lot to sell it's best to be outside. Lesson learned.
I was setup by myself and never really got to walk around until most people had already loaded up. I would love to go back and not set up at all.
Me, Nick, Mark and Kim all spent Saturday up at Chestnut Hollow And meet the Jerry and Jerry Peter's. That was a really cool trip. and enjoyed it a lot. It was really nice meeting some of the guy's and hanging out with them. I had a really good time and would do it again. Just wish the weather was a little better. The wind was crazy.
I guess it could have been a different experience as a buyer than a seller. But all in all I have no complaints.
Had a great time.
Oh one thing that did happen was I ended up losing my debit card and didn't have any cash at all on me. Good thing we all have good friends in this hobby!!!
JKent

Back