When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

seeing is believing

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
001.JPG
002.jpg
003.JPG
004.jpg

What you see is a pair of very rusty 1948 huffman fenders......before and after being submerged in Savogran Oxalic Acid [wood bleach] for 14 hours. notice the one rear fender I only put partly into the solution . you can clearly see the untreated rusty part. these fenders had very deep rust. I purposely put the front fender in the solution with the Winner light left on the fender to see if the Oxalic acid would eat up the aluminum light bulb shield . As you can see there was no affect on it. Acid Magic acid would have dissolved that in about 30 seconds.
I did not clean the fenders after the treatment. took them out, wiped off and took the photo.
with a little wax and some polishing these fenders would look good I think.
I used 4 heaping table spoons full of oxalic acid powder to 8 gallons of hot water. Just guessed on the amount.
I am sold!!!:)

OA is a godsend. Be sure to dry them and coat them in oil soon after removing from the solution. I think this is actually the original purpose of Water Displacement-40 and it works great. They will rust back up pretty quickly otherwise.

Kool,where do you get OA??

I typically get mine at the old school hardware stores. Works too well for Home Depot or Lowes to carry it. It's a powder in a little tub that is, more often than not, labeled "wood bleach". That or you can get it on ebay by the pound. Lasts forever too since a few good spoonfuls can be used for a kiddie pool of hot water.

Kool,where do you get OA??

Hey Vince! The sun shinning here:)and all is well. hope your day is going as good as mine!
Bought the stuff at Ace Hardware. Not every Ace stocks it. 10 bucks for 12 Oz. tub.
you can get it online in bulk cheap, but one 12 Oz. tub should do two or three complete bikes easily. No smell,fumes, and and what the heck I might soak my feet in it, the way it cleaned up those fenders it should do wonders for toe fungus....:rolleyes:

Hey Vince! The sun shinning here:)and all is well. hope your day is going as good as mine!
Bought the stuff at Ace Hardware. Not every Ace stocks it. 10 bucks for 12 Oz. tub.
you can get it online in bulk cheap, but one 12 Oz. tub should do two or three complete bikes easily. No smell,fumes, and and what the heck I might soak my feet in it, the way it cleaned up those fenders it should do wonders for toe fungus....:rolleyes:

Hey Tink.Same over here.You ever around CP. stop in.

Back