When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery stingray-type bike

-

VETTE2008

On Training Wheels
In 1963 or 64 my mother bought me a 20" bicycle that was a clone of a Schwinn Stingray. I have in my mind(50 yrs!) that it was a Dunelt or Raleigh. The closest thing I can find is a Raleight Rodeo, but it doesn't look the same as the one I had. Mine had the standard "banana seat" and high handlebars. I would really appreciate help with a new direction to go in, since I have been searching for some time--THX, John

In the 1963 and 64, muscle bikes were pretty basic. Unless it came with a stick shift, they all look the same. 20" wheels, cantilever frame, standard banana seat, same high rise bars made by WALD, etc.

Unless you have a picture somewhere, any thing we guess at is going to be a shot in the dark.

In 1963 or 64 my mother bought me a 20" bicycle that was a clone of a Schwinn Stingray. I have in my mind(50 yrs!) that it was a Dunelt or Raleigh. The closest thing I can find is a Raleight Rodeo, but it doesn't look the same as the one I had. Mine had the standard "banana seat" and high handlebars. I would really appreciate help with a new direction to go in, since I have been searching for some time--THX, John

maybe this will jog your memory; 1964 Murray Wildcat.

1964wildcatteenageragePjpg-1.jpg

Murray Wildcat, Western Flyer Wildcat, Huffy Dragster, Monark Dragster, Firestone GTO, Belknap Bluegrass T-Bird and Mustang, all are good examples of early muscle bikes.

Back