When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1896 handlebars preservation/restoration tips

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wheeled Relics

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
What I have to start with. Mid 90's Patina adj bars, one cork grip torn half off, one complete.
Options, opinions, tips please on returning to rider.
The bicycle they go with is unrestored patina, just as rough as the bars.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
the bars look better than some bars i have from the 1950s!

why dont you just steel wool #0000 and WD40 them?

I'm not exactly sure how these bars adjust yet; spring loaded twist mechanism; it twists, seems corroded in place.

One of the set's of grips I ordered from frank is unfinished: brainstorming creating a tarnish; need ideas on removing the one good grip; it isn't budging! Examining what's left of the other grip.

Those cork grips like that are glued on most of the time.
So removing one is going to be very very tricky.
It almost looks like that's what happened to the one grip that is half gone.
Someone trided to wedge something under it to try to losen the glue and it just came apart on them.
maybe if you had a very thin piece of flat metal and a whole lot of patience to could work it in and down very slowly and get all of the glue to turn loose.
I don't think I would try to turn the metal or the grip. keep everything still and in place.
Just work the metal down the inside of the grip and pull it back out and continue around the grip like that until you get all the way around and I would probably make a couple passes that way. Then I would slowly try to turn the grip and see if it has turned loose at all. but I would be very careful with it, as to not twist it in half.
JKent

Jkent I think you're dead on in your assessment. Hunting around for a very long thin shim. I may evenly heat with the hair dryer before trying to work anything under the grip.

Spot testing vinegar for an acid burn on one of the unfinished cork grips from gazube.

I think this might be a place for Balistol or Hoppe's gun oil. Both of those products are made to protect blued or even bare metal from corrosion because they are made for fire arms. They both work. Balistol works a little better, but has a somewhat foul smell initially. I use both to preserve rifle and pistol barrels, most of which are either factory blued or bare steel. I would think you could use such products on your bars in light coatings to reduce existing corrosion and prevent new corrosion without resorting to harsher methods.

Back