When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday's Show and Tell. ..5/2/15

-

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sorry for the delay this morning on this post. Been moving my daughter to Fort Bragg in NC since early yesterday morning.
Go Army...hooah!
So let's see what classics you have found from this past weekend. Whether it be bike related or not. Please include pictures as we do love pictures!

No new bikes for me this past week.
Did get some parts for my Colson though.
A collage of different colors but, they look good and what was needed on the 39 Goodyear to stand out from the crowd.
Just need a badge and then decide what to do about the different colors.
Thanks Goldengreek and tanksalot for help on all these parts.

527a0fc43523abf01474ce6a931aa5d3-1.jpg

ba472ac238c91d09aaed99469d372587-1.jpg

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Last edited:
Something from every era...

This week has been very fruitful. NINE BIKES IN A WEEK!!

Last Sunday, I bought an old garden bike that still had some good parts to give...

1965 Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer. The chaingaurd is the same style used on the Murray Astro Flyte and Western Flyer Sonic Flyer. It also has a good fork, cap, headset, Komet hub and front wheel.

029.JPG

Yesterday was my town's Community Garage Sale Day. I set a record for myself on the number of bikes I bought within 24 hrs...EIGHT OF THEM! From one of my favorite classics to a 16" 80's BMX bike. Some will be parked for parts, other will be refurbished and flipped, one or two I'm not sure about yet :rolleyes:

I have already started parting this one:
007.JPG

I would part this AMF BMX bike but I'll clean it up and offer it whole first to a junior collector:
006.JPG

Couple of beat-to-hell 10-speeds. I hosed them down and the Murray will be parted out. I haven't decided on the Schwinn, yet. The paint job on the Murray isn't too popular and it has rust spots in the paint too. It needs all new tires, tubes, the front derailuer cable, a new chain, and a ton of cleaning. All for a $35-$40 bike, if it were mint. The Schwinn has a fighting chance, maybe.
015.JPG

022.JPG

041.JPG

I found this 1985 Huffy Open Road. It seems a lot more high end than the other Huffy 10-speeds I have had. It has a dealership headbadge and a Coast-to-Coaster store sticker on the seat tube. So I'm not where it was originally sold. It is in very nice condition.
005.JPG

Then I came across this 1970s Huffy Seapointe 3-speed for dirt cheap and yes, the speedometer works! It has just shy of 1,000 miles. It came from the original owner who simply didn't have time to fix it or ride it. It's nice to find a survivor and know a little about it's journey. This beautiful classic will also be saved. I love the "Coleman Lantern Green" color. :o
048.JPG
049.JPG

Perhaps my favorite of the vintage lightweights this was was this AMF Scorcher 10. Something about this particular shade of blue. MY parents had a car that same exact color when I was a kid. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I got it dirt cheap...$8 for it and four matching vintage Ford truck hub caps. Hell for that price I'll try to get it going again! :cool:
042.JPG

Saving the BEST for last...

My favorite find was Friday night. It wasn't just the bike, but the people. I got off work early for an appointment but I had some time to kill before and after the appointment and I could resist but pick the early sales. This was not in a sale, but in a hoarder's front yard. I slammed on my brakes when I saw the frame and I knew immediately what it was. I knocked on the door and no one answered. It wasn't the first time. This guy has piles and piles of junk in and around his house and in his van. I figured nobody actually live there. Determined, I went to talk to the old lady watering her flowers across the street. I asked if she knew who owned the house and why I want to know. She was more than happy to give me his name and phone number.

She said that since his mother passed away, has gone about buying anything old and hoarding it. But he's the type of guy that will do anything to help another person. She knew him very well. But that little old lady was the sweetest thing since sweet tea. She invited me to sit on her porch and we just talked about all kinds of things like history, antiques, hobbies, music, church, family etc.

I called the man with the bike and left a message. Around 9:00 he calls me and we strike a deal. He was out of town but thrilled that someone saw value in that old bike besides him. All asked for was to get his $20 back out of it. I left him $30, hidden in side a German railroad lantern on his porch, and brought the bike home. It is a 1966 Silver Jet. I absolutely love these bikes. I know other members who collect middleweights have trouble finding these in any condition, yet I'm blessed with five of them now. LOL!

The chrome is pretty rough and the tank is totally gone (I sold my spare over the winter, DANGIT!!!)

I haven't decided what to do with this one. But I need parts off it awful bad. :(

3-27-15 001.JPG
3-27-15 002.JPG
3-27-15 003.JPG
3-27-15 004.JPG
3-27-15 005.JPG
3-27-15 006.JPG
3-27-15 007.JPG
3-27-15 008.JPG

sunday show and tell

found this old colson girls bike. i think its a 1940, but not sure. going to use it as a lot bike at work. rob.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 230
Picked up a set of 3" battery tube clamps from Abe Lugo. He has another set for those searching. They aren't all the same size, so if you have one bracket and are looking for its twin you might get lucky. PM Abe Lugo to see if he has it.

Attachments

• brackets.jpg
    brackets.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 222
Found these little 20" bikes for my son this week and in search of those found the really nice girls rollfast for my daughter. Then found the big double sided porcelian coke sign 1933 and the bfgoodrich sign. Got a deal working on a hex tube monarch that I am trying to close on today hopefully. Been a good week.

Nice finds guys...I need more.
Oh and it's 5/3 not 5/2.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Back