When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery schwinn

-

spokesman

Look Ma, No Hands!
I Picked up a 1958 20" Schwinn Cantilever bike that had been "converted" to a Stingray style
e.g. Bannana seat and Sissy bar etc. It had been repainted so the 1950's style chainguard has no discernable decal on it. I want to "restore or renovate it to original. I looked in a Schwinn book for 1958 and as far as I can tell, all the 20" Schwinns are all straight bar bikes i.e. Hornet, Deluxe Spirtfire, Spitfire, and Tornado. Does any one know which of these, if any, would have been a cantilever frame and not the 2 bar straight bar frame? Please advise. Thanks

If it's actually a 58 model, it must have been a Spitfire or Hornet. I have yet to see a 1958 catalog. The 58 price sheet tells you pretty much what was available in the 20" models. Only other 20" available in 58 was the Tornado and it was not a canti frame. Now if your 58 serial number is a mid Nov thru Dec number it would be a 59 model and then there was the addition of the Speedster in 20". What's the serial number?

Thanks. Yes I was looking at the 58 price sheet not a 58 catalogue. The serial # is E838460 which i believe makes it a May-1958 bike. I thought that the Spirtfire and Hornet were straight bar ( 2 bar styles and not the canti frame.

1957 was a big transition year with most all balloon tire bikes disappearing and I believe the straight bar Spitfires ended with the 56 model year.

IN the spec sheet / pic you sent it indicates S7 wheels I thouhg that this had S2's?

The only bikes with S-2's in 1958 were the Phantom and the Wasp, not counting Cycle Truck.

Look at the 20" Spitfire in the 57 catalog. That is probably what you have in a 58 model if there is no evidence of a tank fender light or truss rods.

Last edited:
Back