When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Sturmey Archer drum front brake

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hoser1

Look Ma, No Hands!
Has anyone used the new Sturmey Archer front brakes avail. on ebay for a Whizzer? Cheaper than a Schwinn drum brake.

Yes, I put one on a Worksman wheel. It's a very good brake on a very nice wheel. This went on a restored '52 Schwinn. I'd have to say, if a potential buyer were looking for authenticity with period correct parts, yes, it does hurt the value. If your aim is to just ride and enjoy your bike and are just looking for great stopping power at a reasonable price, the Sturmey Archer is the next best thing to the Schwinn front brake. I bought mine for the same reason as you would be, but I do have to admit that I feel like I lost points with it. I just figured it was my bike, I'm keeping it, and I'd spent way too much money on it already.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to dump a lot into this bike, but would like it to look fairly close to what it should look like. I have a 1951 WZ frame. I don't know much about Schwinns. What models would have used this frame? I also need to get a springer and fenders so need to know what to look for. Thanks

You will need a Schwinn clamp and try to modify the S.A. brake to look more like the original. Joe Cargola will dimple the frame so the belts can clear. All the help you will need is in the Whizzer Newsletter 630-897-3601 Ray

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have a WZ frame which is already dimpled. Looks like the brake on ebay would work as is.

Hospitals cost much more than a front brake costing any amount. Be safe for yourself and the people who will ride it after you take your dirt nap.

Back