When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color flow beehive assembly needed

-

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have more than I hoped invested in this 1951 Regal Deluxe ladies Color Flow but, I need a decent chromed beehive with trussrods and top brackets. The rockers are fine unless what you have comes with them...some minor pits on the truss rod and spring is ok. I mean daggum, this is an original paint 1951 unrestored Color Flow. Some minor scratches as one would expect are on this survivor. So some small pits us ok.

Here is what the bike looked like before I started the rival I'm dealing with. And the heavily pitted assembly that won't do this bike justice.

3ae7e8ea513fea8869d5746ec8104304-1.jpg

Now what needs to be better looking. And I don't want to rechrome...that would too nice looking.

3152138e4c4f1a04a1bf8131da591e6e-1.jpg

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Last edited:
Just need the trussrod assembly not the beehive spring.
Turns out it was in good shape after a brass wheel cleaning.
So even a 50s Murray setup will work I'm guessing.

a2cc1f2e7748bb284f103b635fca1897-1.jpg

Apparently no one has what I need.
However I did have a mid 50s Murray Strato Line bike in my "need to get to" stash of project bikes which has a decent (some chrome loss) dual springer fork assembly. The trussrod assembly will be used from that donor to this Color Flow project. Not perfect but, perfect is boring.
Thanks for looking and to those that did respond.
JD

Well I thought I had this figured out but was disappointed to find that the girls donor dual springer Murray trussrod length is different (longer) than the needed 17.5" long beehive springer setup on this Color flow.
Bummer.
Without a correct length replacement trussrod with decent chrome I may have no choice but to spray paint the rod silver....arrrg!
So I'm back in the the hunt for a 17.5" long trussrod.

f6f96d3399522d25c2025e56f60a8e80-1.jpg

A few years ago I built a bike for one of Ratrodbikes build offs, it was a bare metal bike that I decided to polish. Google "ratrodbikes obscured" and it should be the first thing to pop up. Anyway it occurred to be that I could get steel to an almost chrome finish by polishing the hell out of it. Now, in a pinch I will polish something to simulate chrome if I can't find a replacement. Maybe you could try it. Process went like this, using a bench grinder... 1. steel wire wheel to remove the big stuff 2. brass wire wheel to clean up 3. hand sand up to 1200 grit 4. 3 stages of rouge on a buffing wheel 5. done. check out the pictures, I think you might be surprised how it turned out. Don't forget to protect with oil or wax when done so that it doesn't rust.

Thanks highship. I do do this but only with the brass wheel. The longer rod pictured is from that process and it was a pretty mess before I started the wheel.
I guess this will be the next process to get this nice color flow presentable.
Thanks for the reply and tips.

Did some wire brushing on what I had.
This will do. Thanks for all the help guys.

488495c0ab35d624f063f065fdca4012-1.jpg

343fe4e884ae00100307389bd874e5c9-1.jpg

Back