When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D.P. Harris with Lenox badge

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

L.I. Steve

Look Ma, No Hands!
I was given an old bike by my father in law and when I got it back home and tried to get some info online I hit a dead end. The head badge says "Lenox". After many days of looking at old bike images online I come to find that the chain ring held the key. It looks like a D.P Harris but I can't quite figure out what year. I was hoping someone can narrow down the year and also tell me when did D.P Harris change from a "4H" to a "5H" on the chain ring or was that dependent on what model bike it was used on. As far as the head badge, as the Hawthorne was sold through Montgomery Ward stores, it appears as though D.P. Harris was commissioned by some company with the name Lenox. I am in the process of digging up some clues on that as well. Also the original color of the bike was a beat red. My father in law, some years ago painted the bike blue and the rims & chain guard gray. I have already started the process of removing the rust and couple layers of paint. As a newbie to the site, I wanted to say thank you and I look forward to signing on with more bike projects and sharing info.

Attachments

• sn on BB.jpg
    sn on BB.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 149
  • lenox 3.jpg
    lenox 3.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Lenox4.jpg
    Lenox4.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 160
  • lenox 7.jpg
    lenox 7.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Lenox2.jpg
    Lenox2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Lenox3.jpg
    Lenox3.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 165
  • lenox 6.jpg
    lenox 6.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 164
Welcome. Cool bike! Sneider mfg. DP Harris bikes and Rollfast was their "In House" brand.
I'm not sure that your bike may be Huffman mfg. with the sprocket changed at some point.
The rear dropouts and seat post clamp look Huffy.... Keep searching. Look at frame design not parts that can be switched....
Good luck. Many here will know better than me....

I forgot to mention that in addition to the serial number on the bottom bracket (15SN) that is pictured above, there is also another number stamped into the down tube under the seat "H000709".

Ater looking at some other posts, and comparing frame styles, it appears it most closely matches up with the Snyder/Harris frames dating between mid 40's to the early 50's. In addition to the chainring being Snyder/Harris, the chain gaurd, the style of the front fork and the wau the fenders are mounted to the frame looks Snyder/Harris as well. Any thoughts?

The fender rear fender brace and bottom bracket connections look Snyder to me too. I think you are correct in date time period as well.
You got a project; tear into it. Clean up, grease and ride. That always helps me know what to do with it.... Have fun.
If it isn't fun; move on to something that is....

Ater looking at some other posts, and comparing frame styles, it appears it most closely matches up with the Snyder/Harris frames dating between mid 40's to the early 50's. In addition to the chainring being Snyder/Harris, the chain gaurd, the style of the front fork and the wau the fenders are mounted to the frame looks Snyder/Harris as well. Any thoughts?

Forks look to be a lil bit bent can be fixed if ya have the know how. Love that the rear fender is a lil longer and that chain guard is full length to the rear of the frame.

I did start to break it down and remove the paint and excessive rust. The crank arm and the handle bars are bad enough where I am considering having them professionally rechromed. After adjusting the spokes and getting the rim to spin fairly straight, I am trying to take the rust off the spokes and rims and repaint them also... even pinstripe the rim. I had never heard of Snyder/Harris before this bike but I am in love with it now and plan to repaint it in the period correct style down to replacing the Rollfast stickers on the rear fender and downtube. I guess I'll start to post this stuff in the restoration forum!

Back