When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know what the drinking on the job policy was at the Road Master factory?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikewhorder

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Based on the two prewar road master frames I have I'm guessing it was not only allowed but encouraged. I wasted an evening and a frame trying to fix some wacked out rear triangle alignment issues that could have only been welded in at that factory. When I gave up in disgust I examined the other frame I had and found it to be ef'ed up in much the same way. I can post some pictures later but you don't need a "good eye" to see how poorly these frames were welded up. I know the bar for build quality is set pretty low on some of these balloon tired bikes but based on what I've seen I'm ready to hand the prize for most craptasic frame construction to Road Master.

By any chance would you have a 1936 Roadmaster? The early 36 frames had the downtube and seat mast off center where they join into the bottom bracket. This causes the rear triangles to be asymmetrical to compensate. The frame isn't symmetrical like most other frames. Looks odd.

Based on the two prewar road master frames I have I'm guessing it was not only allowed but encouraged. I wasted an evening and a frame trying to fix some wacked out rear triangle alignment issues that could have only been welded in at that factory. When I gave up in disgust I examined the other frame I had and found it to be ef'ed up in much the same way. I can post some pictures later but you don't need a "good eye" to see how poorly these frames were welded up. I know the bar for build quality is set pretty low on some of these balloon tired bikes but based on what I've seen I'm ready to hand the prize for most craptasic frame construction to Road Master.

To my knowledge drinking on the job was only allowed in Maine, and may still persist to this day

Here's a pic of an early 36 Roadmaster. There's about 1" on the drive side and about 5/8" the non drive side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 317
People did drink a lot more back then. They used to say, "never buy a car built on a monday or friday". Wonder if the same applied to bicycles?

Maybe it is offset like that to get the chainline correct. It looks wrong but may have been built that way. Roger

To my knowledge drinking on the job was only allowed in Maine, and may still persist to this day

No kidding, I know a guy who works for a pretty big fiberglass boat building company here and drinking on the job is totally ok. He said they had to crack down a bit after some guy fell off a ladder because he was drunk.

By any chance would you have a 1936 Roadmaster? The early 36 frames had the downtube and seat mast off center where they join into the bottom bracket. This causes the rear triangles to be asymmetrical to compensate. The frame isn't symmetrical like most other frames. Looks odd.

One of them is an offset bottom bracket type, I was aware of those, but that's not the issue I'm having. One dropout is forward and lower than the other one by like a 1/4 inch (more forward than lower)! No amount of tweaking and pulling will correct it. As I was looking at it I noticed the lower rear stays were welded on with one side noticeably higher than the other where it attaches to the bottom bracket shell. And when I compared it to the other frame I had I noticed that one was even worse!

I think the problem can be fixed by having a few drinks then it will look correct as it did to the drunk that assembled it.

Back