When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identify TOC block chain bicycle

-

jonkuto

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello all - I bought this bicycle yesterday and need some help trying to identify the manufacturer. I bought the bike out of North West, Ohio. I've discovered that the Kells saddle was produced in Cleveland, Ohio. The pedals have "Phillips Made in England" engraved on the sides facing towards the bottom bracket. There is a frame number engraved on the right side of the frame where the seat post is attached (I can only make out a 6 and a 9). The matching tires have Penn Arrow on them. The wooden rims are matching. There are no other identifying marks on the bicycle. I do know that the handlebars are on backwards. Thanks in advance for any information about this very special bicycle!

Attachments

• DSC_3240.jpg
    DSC_3240.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_3267.jpg
    DSC_3267.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_3264.jpg
    DSC_3264.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_3246.jpg
    DSC_3246.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC_3214.jpg
    DSC_3214.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_3207.jpg
    DSC_3207.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_3205.jpg
    DSC_3205.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_3204.jpg
    DSC_3204.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_3194.jpg
    DSC_3194.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 188
badge holes might help ID. Straight back dropouts, buncha different manf used that chainring, could be local to the area though? Which makers were around there?

Bars still turned over from the Scorcher dayz. Decent complete high frame. Hit me up if you wanna sell it.

I thought so too - Problem is there aren't any holes where a badge would have been. Not sure which bikes were built around Sandusky, Ohio. The original owner was the post master for a city called "Venice, Ohio". He would bike around and have people through up glass bottles, he would than ride and shoot them with his gun (at least that's what I've been told :)"

haha great stories! so that makes it a transfer/decal badge bike. Lots of manf didn't use badges before 1900 but instead it would have been a decal as a front piece. Love the color. If I had to I would date it 1895/6 because of the headset, lugging, dropouts, crank size, chainring and decal badge. Fork crown might help ID as well, neat geometry. Don't forget about me if you want to move it along.

Thanks for the info! - I also thought it would be around those dates. The previous owner said he had original pictures of the owner on the bicycle - maybe from the photos I can see the transfer badge. Just have to wait to recieve them. What would this bike be considered? It's not a safety. Pneumatic block chain? Thanks again for all the info/advice!

technically and someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is a pneumatic safety, i'm not sure when roller chain first came into use.

saddle is very crusty - hope to get that restored. I've included more photos to help identify the bike (sorry some are sideways). I've done a lot of research but have not found the answer, what exactly defines a safety bicycle? Thanks Jon

Back