When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any schwinn whizzer gurus able to explain this anomoly?

-

bairdco

I live for the CABE
i picked up this straightbar in a trade. serial number dates it as a 54 on the angelfire site or a 58 on the schwinn cruiser site.

it came with the usual mismatched parts, but with a whizzer dropstand, 120g spokes on schwinn wheels, and a bendix 36-11 hub (for 11g spokes.)

i sandblasted all 10 coats of housepaint off and all the above parts had the same red and white/cream coloured original paint underneath.

and it's a skiptooth, if that matters.

now the strange part is the rear fender mount on the chainstays and lack of the obligatory schwinn kickstand bracket.

the mount looks factory, and there's no evidence of the kickstand bracket being grinded off.

i know schwinn made the curved dx "special" frames for whizzers, but there's no info of a straightbar ever being produced.

i also can't find any info of any schwinn made without their much touted kickstand in place.

so, do i have some rare, one off frame? or a well done home modification? or just some plain ol' schwinn that didn't come with a kickstand for some reason...

other info, it's a 26", i didn't get any other whizzer parts with it, and after (or during) sandblasting i didn't notice any dents or marks from motor mounts.

serial number is L8xxx...

Attachments

• 2015-05-21 14.20.22.jpg
    2015-05-21 14.20.22.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 434
  • 2015-05-21 14.20.44.jpg
    2015-05-21 14.20.44.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 2015-05-21 14.20.55.jpg
    2015-05-21 14.20.55.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 442
what's the part closest to the front brake hub? Fork doesn't look Schwinn....

the serial number is on the dropout. L840861

that is a colson fork with closed ends. not all those parts are from the schwinn. they're just parts i was sandblasting for other bikes. the schwinn had a springer fork.

the part next to the hub is the rear seatstays for a 50's rixe tandem. it bolts on.

and the fenders are from a 90's schwinn heavy duti. i blasted the chrome to rough them up so i can paint 'em.

i'e got a large sandblast cabinet that you can fit a full size cruiser frame in. it's awesome. no more chemicals or sanding for me...

Last edited:
so? lemme simplify the original question...

did schwinn make a bike in the 50's without the integrated kickstand?

i picked up this straightbar in a trade. serial number dates it as a 54 on the angelfire site or a 58 on the schwinn cruiser site.

it came with the usual mismatched parts, but with a whizzer dropstand, 120g spokes on schwinn wheels, and a bendix 36-11 hub (for 11g spokes.)

i sandblasted all 10 coats of housepaint off and all the above parts had the same red and white/cream coloured original paint underneath.

and it's a skiptooth, if that matters.

now the strange part is the rear fender mount on the chainstays and lack of the obligatory schwinn kickstand bracket.

the mount looks factory, and there's no evidence of the kickstand bracket being grinded off.

i know schwinn made the curved dx "special" frames for whizzers, but there's no info of a straightbar ever being produced.

i also can't find any info of any schwinn made without their much touted kickstand in place.

so, do i have some rare, one off frame? or a well done home modification? or just some plain ol' schwinn that didn't come with a kickstand for some reason...

other info, it's a 26", i didn't get any other whizzer parts with it, and after (or during) sandblasting i didn't notice any dents or marks from motor mounts.

serial number is L8xxx...

Yeah that rear fender mount is a strange one but as far as the kickstand goes, at least into 1955 Schwinn was producing deluxe hornet, and or flat/straight bar frames without kickstands or as Schwinn said: "Detachable" .

Something about that rear fender bracket looks modern 'about 1958-60's,, and, a middle weight too boot. is the top rear fender bracket middle weight sized @ 2 1/4" as it appears in your photo or heavy @ 3 1/4"? ?

http://schwinncruisers.com/bikes/deluxe-hornet/

1955 SCHWINN DELUXE HORNET

Boys 26-inch Model D19
The Deluxe Hornet is an outstanding value with many wonderful features at a modest cost. Standard equipment includes spring fork, Rocket Ray light, special two-tone colors, whitewall tires and chrome rims-- a beautiful bicycle at an amazing low price!

SPECIFICATIONS
FRAME- Schwinn balloon double bar, girls balloon. FORK- Schwinn patented spring fork. RIMS- Schwinn tubular S-2, chrome. TIRES- Shwinn Typhoon whitewall.

"KICKSTAND- Detachable."

Last edited:
thanks jeff!

yeah, it's 2 1/4". middleweight, hunh?

so it's probably a 58 like the schwinn cruisers site says. i didn't think it had the original parts on it anyway, so over the years it just got whatever parts that were laying around thrown on it.

middleweight or not, the heavy duty wheels fit fine. but it's not tough to stretch the chainstays out a little to fit bigger wheels.

now, if anyone has a 58 hornet with a detachable kickstand on it, it'd be nice to see what the fender bracket looks like...

thanks jeff!

yeah, it's 2 1/4". middleweight, hunh?

so it's probably a 58 like the schwinn cruisers site says. i didn't think it had the original parts on it anyway, so over the years it just got whatever parts that were laying around thrown on it.

middleweight or not, the heavy duty wheels fit fine. but it's not tough to stretch the chainstays out a little to fit bigger wheels.

now, if anyone has a 58 hornet with a detachable kickstand on it, it'd be nice to see what the fender bracket looks like...

@ 1958 it's not a hornet too. did ya click the link? by 57 it's a cantilevered middleweight frame. Plus the flat bar hornet is a heavy weight.. I think you're on to something unusual, but got to get your sites directed. That fender bracket mount does not appear to be as durable as the standard, tubed bracket that is on the heavy, middle and light weights so, suspect it would be somewhere in their lowest class of bikes.. and good odds even if not a super desirable frame, rare to dam hard to find too.

I'd be scouring the late 50-60's catalogs if me were yous, and find it.

something, except this is a twin bar, (two 'twin' lower bars) the likes of this: 1959 Schwinn Deluxe Tornado

1959_deluxetornadologo2jpg-1.jpg

TORNADO PROMOTION – PRICED EQUIPPED MODEL MIDDLEWEIGHT OUTSTANDING VALUE- in a sturdy, fully-equipped Schwinn Quality bicycle, Features; Schwinn Twin-bar frame, tank with horn, chrome truss rods, headlight, Schwinn Tubular enameled rims, rear carrier, detachable kick stand, sparkling Red enamel finish with ivory trim. Coaster brake only. DELUXE TORNADO MODELS FOR BOYS Shpg. No. Size Description Wt. Lbs. X14-7 26 inch Coaster (Schwinn-Approved) 54 ½ X24-7 24 inch Coaster (Schwinn-Approved) 54 ½ No equipment options on Deluxe Tornado models. COLORS: Light Red enamel with Ivory trim. ALL SPECIFICATION SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

and standard Tornado :
vbulletin

Maybe yours is a 1958 tornado, and 'twin bar' added by 59 . I've no clue other than that.

Last edited:
so? lemme simplify the original question...

did schwinn make a bike in the 50's without the integrated kickstand?

There were frames without kickstands built in. I've had a few of them. It has the lower fender mount which is an original part - so yes, it was a "without."

Most of the ones I've had that were without were DX models, but did have one canti frame (balloon size), as well one straightbar (also balloon size) like you have. Both had BFG badges.
Looks like you have your work ahead of you - keep posting your progress!

REC
PS: Here's my '57 Spitfire without built-in stand. It has the same fender mount as in your photo. It is a middleweight.

Attachments

• 57 7D35797 B.jpg
    57 7D35797 B.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Back