When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Middleweight Tandem Broken Chain

-

rhk

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi All,
Thanks to oxalic acid, a lot of scrubbing and help from rustjunkie, I was finally ready to take the first ride on my cleaned up 67 tandem middleweight. Unfortunately the initial ride lasted about one pedal revolution before the chain broke. The chain has 124 links and is 62 1/2 inches long. Does anyone know the chain specs and a good place to purchase a new one? Would a typical bike shop carry the correct chain type? FYI I live in Long Beach CA and there are several reputable bike shops in the neighborhood. Thanks!

tandem chain broken (1).jpg
tandem chain broken (2).jpg

Hi All,
Thanks to oxalic acid, a lot of scrubbing and help from rustjunkie, I was finally ready to take the first ride on my cleaned up 67 tandem middleweight. Unfortunately the initial ride lasted about one pedal revolution before the chain broke. The chain has 124 links and is 62 1/2 inches long. Does anyone know the chain specs and a good place to purchase a new one? Would a typical bike shop carry the correct chain type? FYI I live in Long Beach CA and there are several reputable bike shops in the neighborhood. Thanks!

View attachment 215693View attachment 215694

standard one speed chain will work. they are usually 116 links or so, so might need to buy two. your local shops should have no problem helping you.

I replaced the chains on a Town and Country tandem..took standard one speed and they were long enough. If y ou are working on a 5 speed..ya might need longer one on the back chain

Back