When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stelber Bicycles

-

Monark52

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked this one up a few weeks ago. I`ve heard of Stelbers before but i don`t think they were very popular or high quality. The info i found out on them says that the mens models are kinda scarce. I like the style of this one and it was cheap. If anyone has more info on this bike please post it here.

stelber006-1.jpg

stelber010-1.jpg

stelber008-1.jpg

stelber009-1.jpg

The bike was about 2 hours south of me. I`m just outside Albany,NY.
I went there for the Stelber and i ended up taking home a prewar ladies JC Higgins and a Schwinn American along with it. So much for clearing out the garage for the winter!
The American is for sale if anyone is interested.

I don't know anything about Stelber, but it sure looks cool! I like the shape of the chain guard and rack, and the graphics on them.

I have a ladies' version:
SUNP0003-1.jpg
SUNP0004-1.jpg
Stelber was tapped by Sears to build JC Higgins bikes during a factory strike in 1956. They were one of few European co.'s to build middleweight bikes, along with Royce Union. I don't think they were ever very successful, but there are a few survivors out there! My RU:
collection3008-1.jpg

Yours looks great. What do you think of the way they ride? I put air in the tires on mine and took it for a short ride and didn`t like it much. It has a very "cramped" feel to it. I definately need to grease it as the crank is very hard to turn. As you can see, it has the three piece crank. I hear they are a pain to take apart. Does anyone have some tips on how to take these apart for cleaning and greasing?

Some bike shops have a cotter press (in the old days they all did). You can buy one for about $60.
If you have a stout C clamp and a socket, you try to squeez it out (the socket goes in between the crank and the clamp so the cotter has somewhere to go). Once you've applied all the squeeze you can with the clamp, you tap it (the clamp) with a hammer and it (they cotter) will usually pop out.
You can also cut a piece of pipe to just the right length to reach from the floor to the crank and pound the cotter down into that.
You can just tap it with a hammer but if you tap too hard without backing of some sort you will damage the bearing races.
If you're still fighting it, go to bed. next evening when you're not shaking mad at it, drill it out. Remember, it's flat on the side that faces the spindle so aim a little off center with the drill.
If you're passing through Spring Valley, (near NYC) bring it by and I'll get out my cotter press.

"What do you think of the way they ride?" Actually, these are untouched as of late, with flat tires, old grease, etc. But, looking at my ladies' bike, it does look set up for a short rider. So, I probably won't fit on it. Perhaps parts for another project...

I actually had a Stelber in the late 50's that I rode through the early 60's. I'm preety sure my Dad picked it up for me from Sears as his factory was near the largest Sears on the West Coast back in the day. It was red but the tank was white with a rocketship/shooting star/planet theme (you know that was all the rage back then). Been looking for one forever...........can never find them or even much info on them.

Back