When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Information about Firestone Silver Cruiser

-

DavidB

On Training Wheels
I picked up this Firestone Silver Cruiser for $150. Looks to be all original parts. Could anyone tell me about this bicycle? What company made it? When made? Rarity? Was that a fair price to pay?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

(last photo is "36-13" on hub)

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 202
What you have a 1961-1963 Huffy Silver Jet, the most expensive bike they built at the time, re-badged and altered for Firestone dept stores. The Huffy brand bicycles were only available at the Huffman dealerships, where you could also buy a Monark. Firestone sold bikes cheap - dirt cheap. The Huffy variations got a dual-bulb headlight assembly and an electric horn built into the tank and an electric tail light built into the book rack. The seats on the Huffy bikes were white vinyl with silver trim and a chrome crash rail.

The Firestone bikes, like yours, had the headlight, tail light, and horn features omitted. The seats were swapped out for the cheaper, more standard style that you have.

This is bike is 100% original and correct. It is a fairly rare bicycle. The last Silver Cruiser I saw was about three or four years ago on the Copake Bicycle Auction listings. I do not know what it sold for but it was a girl's model in better condition. Yours is a men's model and is therefore more desirable. Despite the rarity though, these bikes aren't really known about among most collectors so, the prices reflect this. They may be rare but they are still affordable entry level classic bikes.

$150 was a bit much for this bike. As it is, needing cleaning up and buffed, I would have paid around $50. Maybe $65. Then once it was cleaned up and cherry, it might bring $100 - $120.

Finally, the VIN number will tell you the exact year it was built. This number is located on the rear drop out and will start with a number and then the letter "H". The number talls you the last digit in the year of manufacture. For example, "2H*******" would mean "1962 built by Huffy.

Thanks for all the info, this helps alot It's nice to know the history on this bike.

:cool:
What you have a 1961-1963 Huffy Silver Jet, the most expensive bike they built at the time, re-badged and altered for Firestone dept stores. The Huffy brand bicycles were only available at the Huffman dealerships, where you could also buy a Monark. Firestone sold bikes cheap - dirt cheap. The Huffy variations got a dual-bulb headlight assembly and an electric horn built into the tank and an electric tail light built into the book rack. The seats on the Huffy bikes were white vinyl with silver trim and a chrome crash rail.

The Firestone bikes, like yours, had the headlight, tail light, and horn features omitted. The seats were swapped out for the cheaper, more standard style that you have.

This is bike is 100% original and correct. It is a fairly rare bicycle. The last Silver Cruiser I saw was about three or four years ago on the Copake Bicycle Auction listings. I do not know what it sold for but it was a girl's model in better condition. Yours is a men's model and is therefore more desirable. Despite the rarity though, these bikes aren't really known about among most collectors so, the prices reflect this. They may be rare but they are still affordable entry level classic bikes.

$150 was a bit much for this bike. As it is, needing cleaning up and buffed, I would have paid around $50. Maybe $65. Then once it was cleaned up and cherry, it might bring $100 - $120.

Finally, the VIN number will tell you the exact year it was built. This number is located on the rear drop out and will start with a number and then the letter "H". The number talls you the last digit in the year of manufacture. For example, "2H*******" would mean "1962 built by Huffy.

Back