When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage found Mead Roadster / racer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wasp3245

Finally riding a big boys bike
1922 Racer page.jpg
1922 Roadster page.jpg
bars.jpg
chain ring.jpg
decal.jpg
front angle.jpg
head badge.jpg
rear side.jpg
serial number.jpg
Hello all
Darn few barn fresh items in Chicago due to O'Leary's cow efforts to remove all the barns and contents.....but the alleys are lined with garages ...hundreds of thousands of them .
It only took me 35 years to get in to a particle garage seeking non bike related items ....but it was mentioned that 40-50 years ago a bicycle had been placed in the far corner .... a mere 1/2" of old rotting wood planks hind this bike from the alley view . 50 + years of Chicago 4 seasons ... has mellowed what was a very clean machine ... nickle does not like the humidity
Out in the sun for the first time in half a century ....a Mead !!! It appears to be a Roadster with some racer bits ....pedals, saddle, bars.... it has the long wheel base of a roadster ...but nickel forks of the racer...but crown of a roadster . I had a 1922 catalog ..which appears to be close for it's manufacture.... has anyone ever traced serial numbers for Mead .. this one is 80,465..... but Mead certainly would have made more than 80,000 bikes by the 1920"s ? ..... any idea if this is a Mead made bike or made for Mead by ? Last date on down tube decal is 1922 ..

One never knows what lurks in a garage on a Chicago alley .

Cheers Carey

May may I see a closer view of the front and rear dropouts by chance? Outstanding discovery. Beautiful wheelset, matching tires, nice clips! This is what it's about right here. No spoilers. Save those tires!

Last edited:
Can't help you identify it any further but what a beautiful find - good for you.

WOW......a bike with out fenders.....i can imagine the wind in my hair ridin' that bike.......

1927 Racer.jpg

By 1925 Mead was using the triple plate fork on the Racer in place of the single crown. Your bike could easily be a 1927 like this picture taken from a Mead catalog -

Great Research Work Josehuerta; Pin Pointed to the T!!!!;)
Nice Racing Bike; Although NOT the Original Racer as on 1st Pic!!!:)

Good Luck!:cool:

Back