When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn New World Rims + Hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikiba

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Quick question. I started dissembling the '41 New World. I have and I noticed after eliminating some of the rust and taking a deeper look, the back hub is a 3 speed "made in England" and the rim also is stamped "made in England". I am assuming it is a sturmy archer, but I haven't delaced it to clean it properly. Did Schwinns use British hubs/rims?

Yes Schwinn did use SA hubs in the pre war period and most of the time after the war. They did use a Bramptom in about 1953 for a bit but it is a SA clone made in England. I have a Varsity with such a hub. Roger

Yes Schwinn did use SA hubs in the pre war period and most of the time after the war. They did use a Bramptom in about 1953 for a bit but it is a SA clone made in England. I have a Varsity with such a hub. Roger

Thanks rhenning

The catalog from 1941 indicates,

"The New World Lightweight bicycles may be built up with any combination of English or American type equipment available anywhere."

The most common English hub was certainly the SA AW 3 speed. I do not recall ever seeing one with a Villiers hub or the like. All of the single speeds I have seen have either an American-made coaster brake or the Schwinn single speed freewheel. Supposedly the Continental Dural hub shell could take an "imported" freewheel (1948 catalog), but I'm not sure that counts as an "English" hub.

I have not seen a New World with English-made rims original to it. The ones with English hubs I have seen were laced to Schwinn rims. I will say switching to English rims offers the advantage of a wider selection of tires. Schwinn made a point of repeatedly saying you could get whatever English or American-made parts you wanted on your New World. I tend to think of the New World not so much as an individual bike, but as a "platform" for building up a wide array of English and American parts. That said, I've seen only Schwinn rims as original parts, never Raleigh or BCC/Birmingham rims.

Are the rims different? It's possible someone swapped a whole rear wheel to get the three speed gears, while leaving the front alone.

Last edited:
The catalog from 1941 indicates,

"The New World Lightweight bicycles may be built up with any combination of English or American type equipment available anywhere."

The most common English hub was certainly the SA AW 3 speed. I do not recall ever seeing one with a Villiers hub or the like. All of the single speeds I have seen have either an American-made coaster brake or the Schwinn single speed freewheel. Supposedly the Continental Dural hub shell could take an "imported" freewheel (1948 catalog), but I'm not sure that counts as an "English" hub.

I have not seen a New World with English-made rims original to it. The ones with English hubs I have seen were laced to Schwinn rims. I will say switching to English rims offers the advantage of a wider selection of tires. Schwinn made a point of repeatedly saying you could get whatever English or American-made parts you wanted on your New World. I tend to think of the New World not so much as an individual bike, but as a "platform" for building up a wide array of English and American parts. That said, I've seen only Schwinn rims as original parts, never Raleigh or BCC/Birmingham rims.

Are the rims different? It's possible someone swapped a whole rear wheel to get the three speed gears, while leaving the front alone.

Mike - i have been wiping away the grime and some of the rust and from my untrained eye they look exactly the same. I am thinking of delacing them and giving them a proper clean. just procrastinating... if my wife turns a blind eye, i will see if i can get to them this weekend.

Back