When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Cool Lemon paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikecrazy

I live for the CABE
I will be painting an old Sting Ray that is Cool Lemon (bright Yellow). Does anyone have any suggestions about obtaining the correct color paint. Do any big box spray cans match up? Any auto store colors? Thanks!

I wonder why the aluminum base coat for Kool Lemon. Is that just for Pete's paint only? I've never seen any traces of an aluminum base on original paint Lemon bikes, just the red oxide primer.

Good observation, I was just going by what it says on the Hyper-Formance page. I just checked two original Kool Lemon bikes ('71 Super Sport, '75 Continental) and both of those were definitely sprayed over red oxide primer, no aluminum coat in sight. I would ask Pete about the aluminum basecoat he calls for before ordering any Kool Lemon paint.

Red Oxide is only used under "solid" colors- aluminum (silver) is only used under "candy" colors, has always been my experience.

Pete is the man! Give him a call if you have questions. I did a Cardinal red using his paint. It turns out to be a 4 step process- primer, metalic undercoat, color and a clear coat. Mine turned out nice! A little spendy tho. Not your typical krylon spray paint.

Thanks for all the replys. I was hoping someone found a good match using something I could get locally and cheap. I have a can of Mopar "Lemon Twist" lacquer. but it is a few shades too light.

Not only were ALL Chicago Schwinn electro forged frames painted with red oxide before any kind of top coat paint was applied, they were dipped in it. If you cut one of these bikes apart, you will find that the interior of the tubing is indeed coated with red oxide. This will also explain the the dripping paint, or more precisely, the painted over dripping primer found on the bottom brackets of so many of these. Schwinn really was all about quality in those days.

Back