When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List your toughest task and how you fixed it

-

bikiba

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Guys

There is a ton of experience in these forums and I have learned a ton. [ thanks for answering all my newb questions ]. I thought it would be helpful for everyone if everyone could list out their most hated, toughest bicycle tasks they have performed over the years or people could "request" answers to some of their hated tasks to see if there is a better way.

I'd like to kick it off with my MOST hated and barely solved task without a lot of swearing

:: MOST HATED TASK #1 :: REMOVING A STUCK NUT ON A HUB AXLE

Question: When you have a hub and there is a nut stuck on the axle that JUST wont move, what do you guys do to fix it?
Solution: I used pbblaster, soaked it, tap it lightly with a hammer, heated it with a heat gun, and a lot of dual wrench torque and finally those suckers come off.

Would love to see other solutions

Toughest task for me was back in 1983 selling off my entire bicycle collection, parts and all to Prewar Schwinn Lord Kenny Blackburn, except for ONE bike as I made the big mistake life change of dating a sorority beesh in college and transforming myself in to a pseudo Preppy idiot to blend in with her lame scene. She dumped me in a couple of years later. Fortunately for me, a couple of years after that I fixed the problem in 1988 when on a road trip to Northern Calif, I spotted a straight bar hornet hanging in the window of a Santa Rosa junk shop, pulled over, bought the thing for 35.00 and the rest is history! Fixed the problem, rebirth as obsessed bike collector again. Problem solved!

Last edited:
Bob,

You need to find her and reignite the flames of preppy
hipsterdom,

Last edited:
Toughest task for me was back in 1983 selling off my entire bicycle collection, parts and all to Prewar Schwinn Lord Kenny Blackburn, except for ONE bike as I made the big mistake life change of dating a sorority beesh in college and transforming myself in to a pseudo Preppy idiot to blend in with her lame scene. She dumped me in a couple of years later. Fortunately for me, a couple of years after that I fixed the problem in 1988 when on a road trip to Northern Calif, I spotted a straight bar hornet hanging in the window of a Santa Rosa junk shop, pulled over, bought the thing for 35.00 and the rest is history! Fixed the problem, rebirth as obsessed bike collector again. Problem solved!

Hope you got pet the kitty cat for all your troubles :rolleyes:

Mine was a stuck seat post in a 1978 AMF Roadmaster. My solution? I cut up and parted the bike like Sir William Wallace in "Brave Heart" and sent the remains to the scrap yard.

The two tasks I hate most are frame and fork straightening with the fork lever (you really need a touch to do it right) and stripping over spray while trying to preserve the original paint underneath (messy, nasty business).

What I dislike most is after I have carefully thought out what my plan of attack will be; got all the parts together, I am about to get started something else comes up unexpected that drags me away from my plans.[selfish I know.]
It could be the wife and I have to go over to visit someone and then the day is shot.
I find myself at someones house, everyone around me is talking, and I am thinking about "the bike". Once I get going on a bike the interruptions are tough. Have never found a way to fix that.

Lacing rims correctly is the toughest thing on a bike. Always takes atleast two tries and a 6 pack.

Biggest bike heartbreak was recently gathering parts/building the same girls colson i had built in 1975 (first cruiser build) for my wife and she didnt like it. Parting it back out hurt!

Well those two and that business where I set the screw, screw driver, or both down somewhere and spend the next 45 minutes looking for it. I hate that crap.

this one was pretty bad.

IMG_0873_zps6b10bebd-1.jpg

Back