When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saving a 1.375 tire

-

bikiba

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
So I was able to find exact rollfast replacement rims which look brand new.**super excited**

the bike also came with 1 perfect 1.375 back tire, the front is seen below. I was thinking of trying to save it with super glue. this is the worst part of the wheel and I think the woman was riding on it this way for a while. Anyone think it can be saved??

l12_zps4ybfeaa3-1.jpg

So I was able to find exact rollfast replacement rims which look brand new.**super excited**

the bike also came with 1 perfect 1.375 back tire, the front is seen below. I was thinking of trying to save it with super glue. this is the worst part of the wheel and I think the woman was riding on it this way for a while. Anyone think it can be saved??

]

Not a chance in hell with super glue..

yet there's 1 glue: HH-66, it'll glue the crap out of rubber, vinyl and junk. .

perhaps if you got HH-66 inside of the broken bindings and then, I used to do as a kid, cut an old tire and glue it inside too..

Otherwise if that doesn't work just to hold air but not rider, fer-get-a-bout-it.

Not a chance in hell with super glue..

yet there's 1 glue: HH-66, it'll glue the crap out of rubber, vinyl and junk. .

perhaps if you got HH-66 inside of the broken bindings and then, I used to do as a kid, cut an old tire and glue it inside too..

Otherwise if that doesn't work just to hold air but not rider, fer-get-a-bout-it.

Jeff - I checked out the HH-66 and it says it is for vinyl. You sure it works on rubber?

Jeff - I checked out the HH-66 and it says it is for vinyl. You sure it works on rubber?

Whelp here's what I can tell ya about HH-66. I bought it to patch a dinghy. It was patched before by somebody who used 'all the right stuff' two part based glues, etc. yet it's almost all unglued.. then I discovered a guy who has a U-tube video about patching em.. friggen outstanding!!.. So, I bought a can off of a web site that was less than e-bay's: http://www.sailrite.com/ A sailboat place no less, that actually has it less than e-bay, go figure? . I know for the chemical odor of it that it's some type of rubber glue with an kicker, because rubber glue fails on vinyl. I haven't gotten around to patching the dinghy yet but have been gluing the crap out of everything plastic, and or vinyl I never could before, including rubber. . I have not even gone through as much detail that guy in the u-tube did to stick it, and yet it friggen works. Of course if I do get around to the dinghy it'll be his way or the highway, [grin]

I wish I had some of this stuff while my kids were growing up, cheap butt robotic toys with gears and levers falling apart I'd have to melt/weld back together.

Anyways, yes I have successfully glued 1 rubber item and actually just brushed it a little thick on 1 side and stuck it together for 24 hours to insure it's dry. . You're suppose to glue both sides and rest then stick it just like any other rubber glue.. I was being lazy cause it's not advertised to do it, but it did.

Obviously I can't guarantee it'll work for your old tire but shesh dang, this is the most amazing vinyl/rubber glue I've ever seen!

And tip,, if you use it; get the top of the can back on ASAP, it'll go a long, long way but can and will dry up if you're not very careful to keep it sealed. My can hasn't dried but, I can smell the chemicals and know all to well how those will set up inside the can and spoil my new found fun. .

Last edited:
What is significant about this tire that it justifies your time and effort to save?

What is significant about this tire that it justifies your time and effort to save?

Decent 1.375s (ISO 599) cost a mint. It's possible you could pay more for your tires than the entire rest of the bike. A good set is easily $100, mint running closer to $300 per set. It's not single tube 28 inch tire prices, but definitely getting there.

Fortunately ISO 597 (Schwinn S5 and S6 type) tires are very close, though not perfect. Apparently some of these 599 rims can take a 597 tire and it works OK. Some of the taller walled ones won't take the tires though. I have have at least two sets of rims here that can take 597s, and possibly a third. However, in the past, I had a couple sets that you couldn't slip the tire onto.

I would love to see 1.375 tires made again, but I don't ever see it happening. Only the people running the earlier US roadsters and lightweights want them (1930s-40s mostly). These bikes have among the smallest of all followings. They are one of the best kept secrets in vintage bikes (not to let it out or anything).

Last edited:
Back