When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headtube slop issues...I can't figure out why....

-

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have rebuilt a number of bikes since my introduction to this addiction.
And many headtube bearing and race cup marrying. But, I have two bikes that are just not working right.
The two are the 46 Huffman and other is my most recent project, Roadmaster built Fleetwood.
Both had the headtube / fork bearings and frame equipped cups included. No added or replacement parts by me.
The Huffman may have had the bearings replaced as it was found as a frankenbike.
But, the Fleetwood looked to have the OG bearings.
After cleaning both the headtube cups and bearings then repacking all with grease, after reinstalling the fork and installing the top adjustable race, I have slop...meaning the fork still rocks back and forth within the headtube.
I can eliminate the slop by tightening down the top race but, the fork now has drag and is too tight to be functional.
What hey am I doing wrong.?
Maybe I need larger bearings?
Guys I'm stumped.
Again no missing parts. Fork, bearing, headtube, top bearing then the top race....that's all there is.

No need to mention that
I'm an idiot [emoji15] but, any logical and constructive explanation and resolution is welcomed.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Last edited:
When it binds can you tell if it has cup/race contact or the bearings not riding where they should ? Were they rideable bikes when you tore them down ?Just wondering if they could have been a mixture of headset parts ?

...after reinstalling the fork and installing the top adjustable race, I have slop...meaning the fork still rocks back and forth within the headtube.
I can eliminate the slop by tightening down the top race but, the fork now has drag and is too tight to be functional.

You'll have play with only the top race installed. With the top nut loose or removed the race will rock on the steer tube threads.

All the parts reinstalled came with the bike.
This bike was not rideable when I got it.
If the top race is tightened down enough to eliminate the slop or rocking of the fork tube within the headtube, the fork is now too tight and binds resulting with difficulty turning the front wheel. Loosen it enough so it don't bind and steer then there is slop.
I'm thinking the bearing is the incorrect size or someone changed the top cup.
I'll be tearing it apart soon as I do love this bike and want to ride it.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Since it was a frankenbike, I'd replace the entire headset. If you're having these problems, it's a mixture of parts jammed in there.

If the balls are mounted in retainers, might you have inverted one of them when you installed?

Recheck the retainers to make sure one of them are not installed upside down.

Back