When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 (ALL Chrome??!) Chicago Schwinn

-

Amelia Marie

On Training Wheels
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The description that didn't post with the photos (including the serial #) ((sorry it didn't post the first time!!))

Hey fellow bikers!! I bought a Schwinn at a yard sale about three years ago from an old gal who was trying to clear out her late husbands barn. She said he had bought it brand new, but didn't have any info beyond that. When I was doing what research I could, I found from the serial number, A11326, that it was produced between 08/08-08/18 in 1954. I have an original Chicago Schwinn. Trying to research the chrome, information was even sparser. I did once see a paper advertisement on eBay for custom chrome option available through direct factory order, but it had sold before I could check them out more thoroughly.

So here is my question for you guys.... Does anyone know about the full chrome option? What years was it offered? Is my bike original?? Any info you guys have, I would appreciate. I have included photos, I have more/close-ups if needed.

Interested in info, history, stories and possibly in selling my bike. It rides smoothly and gets a lot of comments naturally, I would just really love to know more about my bike.

Thanks in advance!!!

you have what appears to be a middleweight. Fork is original but the AS bolts were replaced. Seat and chain guard are non original and Fenders have been replaced as well. As far as I know, there was never a chrome option. someone had stripped all the paint off that bike, rechromed it and ruined a nice original Schwinn.
I would say the bike is worth $200 tops

I agree that it is a bit of a mix of parts. Pedals are from an exerciser. I'm not sure the springer is a Schwinn. I tend to go with the frame being chromed at some point. I think it is a very cool bike. Different looking! That was a nice find, I sure would have snatched it up if I found it too.

Fork is the early style Schwinn springer, bolt behind leg. It's a neat bike, but it's certainly a bit of a mash-up of parts. Getting that much chrome work (frame, fork) done today would be spendy.
Cheers, Geoff

These all chrome bikes were NEVER EVER made by Schwinn and everyone you'll see was just a regular bike done by someone with
too much time on their hands. Schwinn NEVER had any variation no matter how small from what was offered in the catalogs.
If it wasn't in print it wasn't allowed to be made!
IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

Back