When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 Military Westfield Columbia Ser# Question

-

johan willaert

Finally riding a big boys bike
Recently I came across an MG prefixed frame which had a four-digit serial number with an A suffix...

In my years of collecting these bikes I have seen two of these, along with several MC numbered bikes that also have an A suffix...

Does anyone know the reason/meaning of these numbers? When made?

Can post pictures if needed...

Cheers,

Johan

Would love to see pictures.
I remember hearing that these where the early civilian frames that was converted to the "MG" frames for military use.
What type down tube do they have?
Are they all the same down tubes?
I will have to do some research but I promise that is what I read. and I remember haveing a conversation here on the Cabe about it.
I will see what I can find.
JKent

All have straight tubes!!

MC14625A207-1.jpg

MC14626A202-1.jpg

MC14629A204-1.jpg

MG6945A202-1.jpg

MG6771A209-1.jpg

Hey Johan,
I cant help with the "A" suffix but I'm really impressed with you having 3 known examples within 5 serial #'s of each other. Are those bikes in a collection together or did you see them through out the years?
Tom

The MC bikes were sold through Ebay or the G503 shortly after one-other a couple of years ago...

I believe they were all located in CA, one of them ended up in a Belgian collection...

If you search the G503 forum with those frame numbers, topics should come up..

I did a little searching about the "A" suffix. All I found was that Columbia used it in 1944 with a "w" prefix. Maybe these bikes were from the 44' run.

Back