When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 DX help needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bushb2004

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi all,

recently picked-up a 41 "men's" (No boys) DX frame only (rough shape) trying to "bring it back to life". OK, here are the questions, please be kind since this is my first pre war ;

1. I assume its a skip tooth ?
2. A "D" rear hub was used ?, New departure ?
3. Chain ring "Sweetheart" ?
4. Drop center rims ?
5. Front hubs used (styles) ?
6. Style of truss rods (fork braces or not) ? may go to a springer.......... if ?
7. Rear rack style ?
8. Steering head style ? (bolt clamp location)
9. Seat ?

I know I'm asking a lot, and believe me I have done some research, but the information out there is conflicting to say the least. I have always wanted a DX and I've always wanted a prewar, when this came along, it fit both the bills.

Any help, suggestions or pic's you guys/girls have would be welcomed immensely

Thanks

Doug

PS. The Miss Teen and Fleet are almost done, updates soon.

Hi all,

recently picked-up a 41 "men's" (No boys) DX frame only (rough shape) trying to "bring it back to life". OK, here are the questions, please be kind since this is my first pre war ;

1. I assume its a skip tooth ? Yes
2. A "D" rear hub was used ?, New departure ? Yes with the three little hash marks
3. Chain ring "Sweetheart" ? Yes
4. Drop center rims ? Yes
5. Front hubs used (styles) ? Prob Schwinn script but possibly ND
6. Style of truss rods (fork braces or not) ? may go to a springer.......... if ? Not sure on this the DX may not have had the standoffs
7. Rear rack style ? Nine hole-slots
8. Steering head style ? (bolt clamp location) Not sure what you are asking here
9. Seat ? Mesinger sliding rail

I know I'm asking a lot, and believe me I have done some research, but the information out there is conflicting to say the least. I have always wanted a DX and I've always wanted a prewar, when this came along, it fit both the bills.

Any help, suggestions or pic's you guys/girls have would be welcomed immensely

Thanks

Doug

PS. The Miss Teen and Fleet are almost done, updates soon.

If nobody else posts pics I'll get some up later. You may want to reconsider your options though. Building one of these from scratch is not economically feasible. You can buy a decent pre-war DX for under $1k which is way cheaper than building from a frame. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
The economical aspect is not the question, I am looking to " bring back to life" something ( a part of history ) that would be lost. As far as steering head, the handle bar bolt location specifically

Thanks for your reply

I keep my bikes to pass on

If nobody else posts pics I'll get some up later. You may want to reconsider your options though. Building one of these from scratch is not economically feasible. You can buy a decent pre-war DX for under $1k which is way cheaper than building from a frame. V/r Shawn

1K ? Hmm maybe I should be buying Shinola Bicycles . Just kidding. Thanks for your input.

QUOTE=Freqman1;466550]If nobody else posts pics I'll get some up later. You may want to reconsider your options though. Building one of these from scratch is not economically feasible. You can buy a decent pre-war DX for under $1k which is way cheaper than building from a frame. V/r Shawn[/QUOTE]

I think the truss rod setup still looked like this in 41. Pay no attention to the stem, not original.

b0bca5a70fecba47c71115ef49836ed6-1.jpg

Hi Doug, Pictures of my '40 DX

Hi Doug,
Below are a few pictures of my 1940 Schwinn DX ( Badged as a Packard) for reference. Your bike should be pretty much the same except for the newer style tank graphics. 1940 was the last year for the design you see on my tank, yours would have the downward wings. This bike is completely original and obviously unrestored. Good luck with your project !............Wayne

Also note...The bike has a Delta 3-Ribbed Front load Torpedo, and the original tooled stem.

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

Hey Ozark

Hey Ozark,,,Nice bike!,
Yours also looks like a 1940, and your stem looks just like mine and mine is original, why do you think that yours isn't?..........Wayne

Thanks Guys. Mine is a 39 as shown by the straight down tube(and $1k will not touch it). There is however one on ebay right now with a tank, truss rods, chainguard and other parts for $540. I like the bike and ride it quite often. I removed the original stem (which was in very bad shape) and replaced it with this deco stem with matching red hash marks. The top part of mine is a bit different than yours Wayne. I have seen DX models with your stem Wayne and agree yours is original. I'm looking forward to following your 41 build, Bush. Please post pics.

I don't have a good close up pic of the original stem From my DX but it looked like the one in my 38 C Model below.
7a4a844bdbc8c1c790d203b78482e36a_zpse593-1.jpg

Last edited:
My 41 DX

Here's my 41 Dx, / Excelsior.
Notice the painted rims, fender braces and truss rods. This bike rides as smooth as butter.

Let me know if you need pics. of bike details.

Good Luck with your build!

schwinn dx 001.jpg

schwinn dx 003.jpg

schwinn dx 004.jpg

Last edited:
Back