When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learning Bike ID Roadster, Lightweight, Club

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

durkopp

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello, I have a few questions for you all here as I am not to verse in bike ID. One is do the European bike owners use the same terms in establishing names to bikes? My bike is a 49 Durkopp a thin framed thin wheeled bike with fenders. It has some odd parts on it as far as the hub and derailleurs that are rarerare and considered high end for the time. Has dual brakes in the rear, an rod asised drum and clamp type operated by a single brake lever that looks period correct with the rest of the bike. All together it has nine speeds. Not sure what to call this bike not much to compare to as the manufacturer made mostly motor bikes and other machinery of the day. The style looks something like Schwinn not the heavy cursers more like thiner ten speed frame with the cruisedual center bars the cruisers have. Thanks for any input on the subject.

Durkopp1_zpspkmw5khy-1.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag50/watchesphotos/Durkopp2_zpsmaurwsgw.jpg
DurkoppABHub1949Drum_zps2sxmxi3f-1.jpg
DurkoppBenelux_zpsywretje9-1.jpg
DurkoppFTbrake_zpstm7e1kfd-1.jpg
DurkoppJockeyLever_zpsmogemksi-1.jpg
DurkoppRearDrumRodBrake_zpscokgamxq-1.jpg
DurkoppRearImage_zpswfla35je-1.jpg
DurkoppSpocketChainGaurd_zpssstojqwy-1.jpg
DurkoppWrightsSadle_zpsdzfih1u4-1.jpg

I believe the Europeans referred to these as Gent's or Gentlemen's bicycles. I'd call it a sports tourist model. It's quite curious to find a Sturmey-Archer hub on it. Being a German brand, I would have expected a Fichtel and Sachs. The rear derailleur is almost certainly not original to the bicycle. The Cyclo Benelux 9 speed conversion kits came out circa 1962 and were very popular throughout the 1960s.

I believe the Europeans referred to these as Gent's or Gentlemen's bicycles. I'd call it a sports tourist model. It's quite curious to find a Sturmey-Archer hub on it. Being a German brand, I would have expected a Fichtel and Sachs. The rear derailleur is almost certainly not original to the bicycle. The Cyclo Benelux 9 speed conversion kits came out circa 1962 and were very popular throughout the 1960s.

Thanks T-Mar, I think the derailleur is a MK 7 from 1957 along with the jockey switch. Not sure what year the rear sproket is. The rear hub as far as that goes I think Archer took interest in Durkopp in the late 40s early 50s I was reading somewere in the partnered for awhile and made some parts for each other as far as I know. Yeah a light touring model makes sence. Trying to figures out what kind of front spocket is on the bike. I have rode one of these with the pins in the arms of the sprocket since I was a kid and remember them coming lose time to time on the ones I had.

Thanks T-Mar, I think the derailleur is a MK 7 from 1957 along with the jockey switch. Not sure what year the rear sproket is. The rear hub as far as that goes I think Archer took interest in Durkopp in the late 40s early 50s I was reading somewere in the partnered for awhile and made some parts for each other as far as I know. Yeah a light touring model makes sence. Trying to figures out what kind of front spocket is on the bike. I have rode one of these with the pins in the arms of the sprocket since I was a kid and remember them coming lose time to time on the ones I had.

I looked it up again the name was Ardie not Archer,

...I think the derailleur is a MK 7 from 1957 along with the jockey switch. Not sure what year the rear sproket is... Trying to figures out what kind of front spocket is on the bike. I have rode one of these with the pins in the arms of the sprocket since I was a kid and remember them coming lose time to time on the ones I had.

Yes, it's a Mk 7 rear deraileur. While they came out in 1957, the Cyclo gear Company continued to manufacture them right through to the end of the company in the late 1960s and they were the derailleur offered in the conversion kits.

I can't identify the brand of the crankset, but generically they are called "cottered cranks" due to the cotter pins used to hold the arms to the spindle. While "cotterless cranks" are technically any style that does not use cotter pins, most people use this term for three piece cranks where the arms are pressed onto the tapered ends of the spindle. The other common type is the "one piece crank", where both arms and the spindle are formed from a single piece of steel. Many modern cranks are "two piece" with the spindle permanently attached to the drive side arm and a pressed on non-drive side arm.

Back