When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring Old Decal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Artifex

Look Ma, No Hands!
I seem to remember reading in one of the multitude of rust removal threads a statement to the effect "...this also works great on removing the discoloration..on decals..." am I dreaming? :confused: I can't find it now, which doesn't surprise me because it was an offhand remark buried in a recommendation of a particular rust removal process.

I rescued a sweet original 1960 Schwinn Hollywood with great paint but the decal carrier around the "Schwinn" script is discolored &/or 'sun burned'. I am prepping it for resale outside the collector community so 'leave it as is for patina's sake is not a great option (but likely unavoidable), and it just isn't worth putting another $25 in for new decals.

Probably grasping at straws here, but if there is a technique I would love to hear about it.

Thanks everyone!

I wiped a decal that was yellowed with a little Goop,the hand cleaner. and it turned it back to white.

I wiped a decal that was yellowed with a little Goop,the hand cleaner. and it turned it back to white.

That Goop works good on a lot of things, used it for cleaning car interior and carpet without discoloring. The only thing it's missing is an abrasives. That with a little toothpaste would work good. Toothpaste is just a very mild rubbing compound. To finsh I would put a light old wipe on the decal, think they are made of vinal and vinal has some oil propertys and drys out like skin gets a little dull, baby oil or veg oil on cotton would be good sounds silly but has a nice result.

Back