When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix Two Speed

-

wrongway

I live for the CABE
I just got a 1960 Schwinn Jaguar that needs a lot of help! While I have it on the stand I can pedal it, shift from 1-2 and 2-1 and it has decent brakes. I can tell it should probably be serviced as in new grease/oil. Has anybody here taken one apart? How difficult is it? Is there something else I can do for it like just add a few drops of light oil like I would for my SA hubs?

This is the Bendix Power Brake with the lever and cable? They are very simple. Just take it apart and watch as you do so, clean, lube and reassemble. If you discover you need any parts for it, let me know.

If it's the manual 2 speed, I've rebuilt one, took some time, but got it done. I've got a kickback that I just can't get done right.... consequently I don't ride the bike, just look at it for now.

In case you run into issues, here is the factory schematic with adjustment and lubrication instructions. Good luck!

Attachments

• Bendix power brake.jpg
    Bendix power brake.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 113
I think the Schwinn Service Manual has the instructions. I'll check and try to scan them over the next few days if it's in there.

Not much more involved than a typical Bendix. The most important variable is the final cable adjustment.

I took it apart last night and cleaned everything up and greased/oiled as required. Didn't have time yet to put the brake lever and all the little outside pieces on. The hub and rim will also need a lot of cleaning before installing the new tire.
Answer me this: What is the proper method for tightening up the hub? I've never done this quite right I feel. One of my bikes, now years after restoration, has a loose rear hub. I now have cone wrenches that I didn't have back then. Maybe that will make a difference?

Back