When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ND "D" that won't stop pedaling....

-

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
ND "D" that won't stop pedaling....

Not sure what could be the problem with this rear wheel rebuild. It's a first for me.
Here's the issue....the rear wheel does not coast without the pedals (crank) still rotating.
I stop pedaling and the crank continues to pedal. Thevrear sprocket will not disengage. Therefore still engages the chain resulting in the crank to rotate without pedal power.
Try rolling the bike backwards and the rear wheel locks up.
Some difficulty braking too but, it does brake with rear pedal added pressure.
I did replace the brake internal spring during the rebuild. I did not change out another internal parts including the discs Perhaps the replaced spring is the problem.
Seeing that is what engages the brake dics.
But, why do you think the rear cog won't disengage?
Your thoughts and possible resolution is welcomed.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Last edited:
JD it sounds like the clutch part that floats on the driver is stuck in the hub shell. When you roll backwards it is engaging the brake as if you had pedaled backwards. It sounds like you will have to take the hub apart to knock the little splined clutch out of the hub shell. You will probably have to replace the hub shell and/or clutch.

Thanks....looks like I'll have to get in there and take another look.
Maybe this hub had too many discs. And I just need to remove a couple.
I'd hate to have to replace the hub and respoke. I just painted those rims. Oh well, sometimes it's a simple fix and then there are those that need a but more.
Thanks for the responses.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

There should be 22 discs if there is too many the transfer spring will strip, not enough tho and it might stay engaged? either or i would double check the area of the transfer spring where the teeth engage.

Last edited:
If it innards (discs/washers) are not all fully seated, I think it will do this as well. Is dust cover partly covering the hub? If not, might not be fully together.

This diagram shows 23 discs per set.

New Departure Hub.jpg

I've found the number of discs to vary. The early ones seemed to have more while the later seem to have less but they are thicker.

believe it is the other way around, as "C" hubs had less, thicker discs, but maybe they went back to them..?

Back