When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Expanding Brake exploded view or adjusting instructions?

-

cheeseroc

Finally riding a big boys bike
I repacked the hub on a schwinn expanding/drum brake. Since I've put it back together, there's some amount of interference that I can't seem to adjust out. I'm not sure if its the brake pads dragging (don't see any obvious way to adjust that?) or if its the outside face of the brake rubbing on the hub/spokes. I only have the one cone on the inside, should there be a lock nut in addition to that? There is also no locknut on the outside of the hub but I guess the axle nut serves as the lock-nut? I'm way out of my comfort zone on this, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 421586B3-8ECE-41D7-B47A-25BE68CCBD12.jpg
    421586B3-8ECE-41D7-B47A-25BE68CCBD12.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 127
try putting a washer or two on the cone adjuster nut before installing the outer pork chop. That will keep it from dragging agaist the spokes and hub.

You need a thin washer or two on the inside of pork chop on top of the cone. No lock nut is used on the pork chop side. When tightening nuts engage brake to help center the pads inside the shell.

Back