When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Corvette seat variations

-

Pantmaker

I live for the CABE
As luck would have it, I recently found two nice examples of the seat that came on the first year Corvettes. They are really strange seats and one of the hardest to find. Well tonight I decided to start cleaning them up and noticed that one is badged " Schwinn" and the other, "Mesinger." I have a few examples of similar 60s deluxe seats with one badged Schwinn and one Mesinger but had only seen them one way on these Brownies.
20150702_224449.jpg

Hi I'm new to the Forum. Can anyone direct me to a place to restore my 1975 Schwinn De Luxe Twinn. I live in Wisconsin. Thank you.
-Dr Rock

I'd guess the Mesinger badged seat would be the first version, and the re-badged Schwinn ones followed. But that's just a guess.

The Twinn - you're not going to "restore" it, you're going to "refurbish" it. Any local bike shop can do the mechanical work. If you want to tear into it yourself, the crank hardware (as well as the left side pedals) are reverse thread. You'll need cone wrenches for the hubs, as well as a freewheel tool to remove the 5 speed cluster on the rear wheel. Clean out the old grease, inspect for damage, re-grease, re-assemble, adjust. The chains aren't special, you'll just have to splice. And make sure the crank arms are in phase when you install the front chain.

Cheers, Geoff

I've always been confused about the two different tags on Schwinn seats. Now the 55 only Mesinger shows up with both tags. I have two 1958 only Mesingers from Corvettes, one is tagged Schwinn an the other is tagged Mesinger. Same thing on the 59 and up issues even thru the 60's no rivet deluxe seats. Why?

I've always been confused about the two different tags on Schwinn seats. Now the 55 only Mesinger shows up with both tags. I have two 1958 only Mesingers from Corvettes, one is tagged Schwinn an the other is tagged Mesinger. Same thing on the 59 and up issues even thru the 60's no rivet deluxe seats. Why?

Gman, this has been exactly my experience too and it was a surpise to see the flip flopping going on as early as 54-55 with these. Speaking of surprises, the look of complete bewilderment was definitely NOT a surprise to see on my wife's face when I told HER about these exciting seat variations. I think she said something to me along the lines of, "what?....they're different?...why can't they be different?" Like many of us on these boards, I married outside of the faith.

Back