When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best way to straighten a fork

-

halfatruck

I live for the CABE
What is the best way to straighten the fork on a '41 Schwinn straight bar. The fork seems to be off about 1/8", but it makes quite a difference in going down the road.

Attachments

• DSC03494.jpg
    DSC03494.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC03495.jpg
    DSC03495.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC03498.jpg
    DSC03498.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 234
I would say that the left leg has been pushed back slightly with the top level a shim will go under the right, but not the left (about 1/8" difference), the right seems to be aligned straight with the head tube.

Attachments

• DSC03500.jpg
    DSC03500.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC03502.jpg
    DSC03502.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 218
I would say that the left leg has been pushed back slightly with the top level a shim will go under the right, but not the left (about 1/8" difference), the right seems to be aligned straight with the head tube.

halfatruck ... I do not know how to proceed to straighten that left fork leg.
Thought these illustrations might motivate the authentic mechanics on The CABE
to share a valuable process. I have a fork with a similar malady.

....... patric

fork 001.jpg

Last edited:
I did finally get it straightened, I used 2 'C' clamps and 2 short 2X4's to clamp it to the front frame rail on my trailer..then used a long rod between the ends of the fork and twisted to straighten....worked fine.

I did finally get it straightened, I used 2 'C' clamps and 2 short 2X4's to clamp it to the front frame rail on my trailer..then used a long rod between the ends of the fork and twisted to straighten....worked fine.

It is the only way to fix the issue.

Back