When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure oiling

-
The bike I have always rode the most is my Schwinn panther. Every spring I oil it up for the summer.
That seems to be enough for me. Ridden on short trips almost daily. If you get that "squawking " sound when applying the brakes it needs oil.
As a kid in the fifties I loved that sound as my parents found it annoying. I did it often:o

I usually just give it one good squirt. As far as how often it really depends on how much you ride and the terrain you ride but Tinker's advice is pretty good. V/r Shawn

Depends on a few things, if the bike sits for long periods before rides, the oil will tend to flow to the bottom and collect on the brake arm side. I usually flip the bike upside-down, put a couple of drops in and spin the tire with the bike leaned to one side. Then repeat with the bike leaned to the other side to help spread the oil around the hub a bit.

Back