When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which tires are you using for your vintage Whizzer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Real Steel

Finally riding a big boys bike
I may have the wrong type of tires on my first Whizzer (1950 WZ). I put a new set of US Royal Chain Link tires on the bike. Pressure is set to about 45 PSI.

I'm just starting to ride the bike and I'm noticing some strange handling, especially after the tires warm up on hot days. The bike has mushy cornering and an unstable feeling when slowing down.

I'm still doing some other general debugging, but things related to wheels, fork, etc are properly set and ready to roll.

I suspect the tires are too soft, but I'm not sure. What kind of tires and pressures have been working well for you?

Although not vintage, my 1999 WC1 Whizzer came with these knobbys. They hold the road nicely and this is the best price that I've found. I think they also have/had these in blackwalls. I feel safer runing something newer rather than vintage if I'm going to be going 30-35mph.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C15HPA/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_3p_dp_1

31fp91BXuyL.jpg

Last edited:
Goodyear double eagles, or All State Heavy Duty.

Okay, those tires sound good...I'll watch for those along with some Unobtainium :)

But seriously, do you guys think the US Royal tires may be too soft? Could that be part of the handling problem?

Although not vintage, my 1999 WC1 Whizzer came with these knobbys. They hold the road nicely and this is the best price that I've found. I think they also have/had these in whitewalls. I feel safer runing something newer rather than vintage if I'm going to be going 30-35mph.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C15HPA/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_3p_dp_1

Dave- Safety is super important to me, but I've worked so hard to keep the bike as original as possible! The tire should be at least 'kinda' vintage looking.

Definitely not vintage, but for safety and speed, kenda kiniptions or maxis hookworms are amazing tires for motorized bikes. Bead-to-bead tread, gives them a roundy motorcycle tire look, and we're run them at speeds over 70mph. (Buddy has a custom 212cc predator motor on a crazy custom bike.)

I've found that tires with any kind of knobs on them get sketchy at higher speeds, as the knobs flex and squirm around.

Assuming you're old whizzer spends most of it's time putting to shows and weekend cruises, probably not the tires you're looking for, but figured I'd chime in anyway... :)

Definitely not vintage, but for safety and speed, kenda kiniptions or maxis hookworms are amazing tires for motorized bikes. Bead-to-bead tread, gives them a roundy motorcycle tire look, and we're run them at speeds over 70mph. (Buddy has a custom 212cc predator motor on a crazy custom bike.)

I've found that tires with any kind of knobs on them get sketchy at higher speeds, as the knobs flex and squirm around.

Assuming you're old whizzer spends most of it's time putting to shows and weekend cruises, probably not the tires you're looking for, but figured I'd chime in anyway... :)

The Kiniptions and Hookworm tires look very capable, but they are probably too wide for the vintage Whizzers. The original tires are 26x2.125 and belt clearance is tight. They are also very modern looking and may not mesh well with the originality of the bike.

My Whizzer will be used as frequently as reasonable...no shows are planned. Here is a pic of it as it stands today. Still working on it, and working on it, and working on it... :)

Attachments

• DSCN0764.jpg
    DSCN0764.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 266
I may have the wrong type of tires on my first Whizzer (1950 WZ). I put a new set of US Royal Chain Link tires on the bike. Pressure is set to about 45 PSI.

I'm just starting to ride the bike and I'm noticing some strange handling, especially after the tires warm up on hot days. The bike has mushy cornering and an unstable feeling when slowing down.

I'm still doing some other general debugging, but things related to wheels, fork, etc are properly set and ready to roll.

I suspect the tires are too soft, but I'm not sure. What kind of tires and pressures have been working well for you?

That's what I think while just riding a bike with a springer, and tires with no sidewall support will add to the issue. Not being a SM since I don't know what you collect, ride etc, but have you ridden a bike with a springer before your Whizzer?

That's what I think while just riding a bike with a springer, and tires with no sidewall support will add to the issue. Not being a SM since I don't know what you collect, ride etc, but have you ridden a bike with a springer before your Whizzer?

This Whizzer is the first springer for me.

Back