When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Child's racer and a display bike.

-

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Upon buying a 40 schwinn racer I could not resist these. One or both of them might be display bikes. I have never seen them before today. The tiny one is fixed gear. Does Anyone know anything about them I found a restored one on the net but no info.

Last edited:
I know they are in demand for aspiring youth racers. I will purchase small road bikes with 20 inch wheels for my buddies kids. Also 22 or 24 inch wheeled road bikes.

Many American distributors imported European Junior racer models with 20", 22" or 24" wheels during the early 1970's bicycle boom. Libertas was a Belgium brand. The bigger bicycle has what appears to be a Huret Svelto rear derailleur, which would fit the boom era time frame, as these were introduced for the 1964 model year and discontinued in 1976. The presence of brake safety levers indicates that it probably from the the last 2-3 years of the time frame. It looks like the smaller one has pseudo reynolds 531 decals! Be aware that while most Belgium manufacturers used English standards, some did use French, so there is the possibility that they have metric tubing and threads.

Thank's talk about starting the kids out young in racing! You got to 4-5 years old to ride that one. It has 14.25 in tires and the tiny one is not fixed gear just a one speed. I inflated the tires and the are in fine condition. Still trued and works great. It would be cool to see a full set of these bikes together.

What is the tire size imprinted on the Libertas ?
Or the ISO #?
this # is usually printed in ( ... )
Many used the 400A size which was approx. a 18" inflated.

That is the size 14 x 1 1/4 clement Milano for the tiny one and 20x1 3/8 on the other one . Funky cool little bikes.

Last edited:
Very cool Mark, I've admired them for years where they use to be displayed. They were never FS either was the Schwinn racer. Good timimg:)

Thanks Derek. Sad he's selling them. I guess the dude just got tired of bikes and wanted to retire to his boat. I am glad I got them. They are very cool and perhaps quite rare.

Thanks Derek. Sad he's selling them. I guess the dude just got tired of bikes and wanted to retire to his boat. I am glad I got them. They are very cool and perhaps quite rare.

Contact "bike" Paul G. on these... he is knowledgeable on these lil guys.

Bought this junior Varsity for my grandson, I will give it to him in a week when he turns 8
I bought it from the original owner, he got it when he was 9. It is a 1973
I have to repack the bearings

Attachments

• shorty 001.jpg
    shorty 001.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 112
  • shorty 003.jpg
    shorty 003.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 103
  • shorty 004.jpg
    shorty 004.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 104