When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting started on the Golden Flyer

-

Jefscoupe

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Here are some shots of the basket case bike I got for free at a local estate sale.
Golden Flyer 001.jpg
Golden Flyer 002.jpg
Golden Flyer 003.jpg
Golden Flyer 004.jpg
Golden Flyer 005.jpg
Golden Flyer 006.jpg
Golden Flyer 007.jpg

The rear rim shown cleaned up pretty good. I noticed while scrubbing with chrome polish and crumpled up aluminum foil that I'm missing a spoke.
That is one issue to be fixed just on the rear wheel.
The other is the missing ball bearings and axle nut for the Komet Super rear hub.
I have looked and looked on this site and even used my thread gauge (I'm a machinist by trade) and cannot find out what the thread is.
Must be metric since no standard nut fits it and my thread gauge didn't either.
Also the axle threads have been buggered up a bit. If I can find the right thread die I can clean them up a bit.
The front wheel is in good shape. You can see it in the background of the headbadge pic.
The goal is to just clean the bike up and reassemble as is.
The handle bars are pretty bad rusty too. Maybe I can find a better set.
The main missing parts are the seat and tail light.

Congrats on your free Golden Flyer! I've became quite familiar with this model since I bought mine from The Stig earlier this year. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can, just ask. Sorry I have no parts to sell you. The seat will be difficult to find since to my knowledge it was only used in 59 and only on the GF The tail light was available in two variations and will also be hard to find, especially the lens. I have found nobody that makes ANY decals for these, though all of yours look pretty good. Let me know if you source out new ones, I'd be interested. Also let me know if you are going to persue having the tank, fenders, and chainguard done with any kind of "gold tone" as they were when new. I'll post some pics of mine for any help they give you like the seat or tail light. Good luck with your Golden Flyer!

Some Golden Flyer pics. First two show the Persons seat, gold circle pattern, very unusual. The first tow tail light pics are of my bike and show the first type available. The 3rd pic off the internet shows the second type available.

Attachments

• 100_2322.jpg
    100_2322.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 100_2321.jpg
    100_2321.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 260
  • 100_2328.jpg
    100_2328.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 100_2327.jpg
    100_2327.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 1959westerngoldenflyer5_zpsd4d5913d.jpg
    1959westerngoldenflyer5_zpsd4d5913d.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 243
Thanks for the pics and offer for help.
I'm going down to an old bike shop here in Memphis now to see if they have anything.
I hope at least to get a spoke and hub bearings.
Oh yeah I need a pair of inner tubes and rim bands (or whatever they're called).
Maybe they can point me in a direction for other parts.
I'll likely settle for any period correct seat for now.

A big thanks to The Peddler Bicycle Shop in Memphis, TN for helping be get the rear wheel taken care of.
They didn't have the right caged bearings but the guy measured the balls and found me a couple to replace the missing ones in the hub. A couple new axle nuts (3/8-26 BTW) and a new spoke.
While I was there I got new inner tubes and rim bands.
I walked out under 25 bucks. I was probably their cheapest customer of the day.:cool:
I ordered a set of handle bars off Amazon (Wald #898) and now looking at seats on Ebay.
I have the original (maybe?) seat rails and they say Person-Worcester Mass on them.
So I guess I need to look at Person brand seats.
I found a few that look similar to your seat but of course not in that material.

Sounds like your off to a good start! Utilize the CABE's "Parts Wanted" section as well. Members here are a great source for parts you'll need.

Progress has been slow.
I've been soaking parts in a product called Metal Rescue. Seems to be working (removing rust), just have to keep rotating the wheel a little everyday.
Small parts have cleaned up nicely though.

Yeah I've heard of Evaporust along with a couple other products.
Home Depot only had this stuff.
I'm almost all the way around the rear wheel. Front wheel will be next.
In the meantime I'm doing all the little parts. I hope to be able to assemble it next weekend.

Back