When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need some help with value on krate bikes

-

Tim the Skid

Skidding on my '41 Schwinn Autocycle
I am helping a widow place a value on a collection of bikes left by her husband. I know fat tire cruisers, but I am out of touch with the pricing on these. Possibly a clone Cotton Picker (serial KK), 1970 Pea Picker, and a re-issue apple Krate from the late 90's. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Tim
IMG_1178_zpsmpkllice-1.jpg

IMG_1177_zpssp6hypgw-1.jpg

IMG_1176_zpso12eiv32-1.jpg

Last edited:
A 1975 Cotton Picker? Pea is missing front fender and Atom brake. I'm not seeing anywhere near that kind of money for either bike if restored but I'm no Krate expert either. V/r Shawn

I think the cotton picker may be a clone. The serial number is on the head tube, and I'm pretty sure it starts with KK. I know they were a two year bike (70-71).Thanks for the help guys,that's why I'm throwing this out here. And you're right about the Pea Picker missing the shifter, the front wheel w/brake and fender. The paint does appear to be original on that one.

Last edited:
A 1975 Cotton Picker? Pea is missing front fender and Atom brake. I'm not seeing anywhere near that kind of money for either bike if restored but I'm no Krate expert either. V/r Shawn
I completely missed that stuff. I guess I shouldn't look at pictures when I am half asleep. Here is what I can see happened by the looks of things. The shifter, atom wheel and front fender were originally on the pea picker but the guy wanted a cotton picker so he swapped the parts between the two bikes. If you take all the parts off the cotton picker and put them back on the pea picker including the headlight then the bike if original paint I could see $1500 or so. The cotton picker with all that stuff removed and the 20inch wheel on the front again about $300-400

So, if I am following you correctly, the Cotton Picker was originally a deluxe 5 speed?

It was either a 5 or 3 speed. the frames are the same and it appears this guy liked to modify them.
The parts on the cotton are from the pea picker and vice versa
Also the pedals on the cotton picker are from the pea picker

there is a lot of spare parts that go with the bikes and I think he was doing buildups on Stingrays and Krates. Hard to know exactly what he was thinking as he is no longer with us. I knew I could come here for some info to help figure these out. Thanks for the replies and PM's!

Last edited:
Back