When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repopping Badges.....new low

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Tho I've never been a fan of reproducing rare parts for bicycles, the reproduction of badges is
probably the lowest rung of the repop realm. Now we have foreign manufacturers making vintage American bicycle badges in
Indonesia?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Fly...947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a02bef9eb

There are two major issues with reproduction badges that I see.
1 as we find out thanks to sites like Ebay, Image Saturation. Badges that were were once extremely rare and sought after, become mundane
visual images seen daily on sites like ebay as the reproduction badges become as available a common commodity as something like an Electra bicycle or 'GT' tire, etc.
We almost become imune to these once extremely rare plates as this 'image saturation' becomes common place.

2 the process of making these badges has become so 'exacting' that as with other 'too good' copies or forgeries...the line will and even
Does get 'blurred' as the items change hands from one buyer to the next. An artificially aged repop badge could very well screw someone
down the road, even unintentionally. It's unfortunate that the original manufacturers aren't around today and can't take legal action against
the reproduction of these iconic antique collectible artifacts.

.............The value of originals is also greatly diminished by the mass production of the cheaper copies. There were several very rare Schwinn badges
for instance that at one time commanded very high prices and maintained high investment value. Now that the repros of these badges are available
the value of the originals from what I have seen has been slashed to roughly 1/2.
Who condones this?

Last edited:
Back when I was dealing in antiques in general, the same thing happened with depression glass. I finally just quit buying any glass ware as people were afraid it was a reproduction. Even knowing what was fake and what was real, people were turned off and the price dropped.

I don't even look for badges anymore. Of course I only collected Schwinn but they were all repop'd. I think the only one that didn't was the rarest of the Rare "Lion" badge. Bet your ass if they had an original it would have been popped.

So, what are your thoughts of Nostalgic Reflections? They've been doing badges for some time.

I've made Iver cheese grater racks. ..

Interesting topic.

I also quit collecting badges for this exact reason. I don't mind picking up an original badge now and then, but they have no real monitary value to me anymore.

My thoughts on Nostalgic Reflections is that they are very good at what they do.

Last edited:
Reproducing parts that are unattainable to complete or restore a bike is understandable. I have been very impressed and grateful by the fantastic work of the fabricators, but I have never understood the need to reproduce a headbadge.
The only reason that I can see, is that when a rare badge sells for $500, the thought is, that if they make some, then they too can cash in on that market. The problem is, that it's the antiquity that we are buying. A new badge made to replicate an old one has no interest to me at all.
Especially when it's hard to tell the original from the replica.

Just bought one of these and they are spot on!
They are acid etched and make an exact copy....

imagejpg1_35-1.jpg

Back