When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plains and Trains Badge

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Does anyone know what year Schwinn introduced this badge? My '41 Autocycle has it but not sure that I've seen this badge on anything earlier. V/r Shawn

Earliest bike I've seen the T & P on was 1938. Could have shown up earlier even, anyones guess.

Was the 38 a aluminum or brass badge, my 38 autocycle frame had a old looking aluminum t & P but don't know if its OG.

Thanks for the replies guys. My badge is brass. I believe the aluminum was later and I believe the repos are aluminum as well. V/r Shawn

Thanks for the replies guys. My badge is brass. I believe the aluminum was later and I believe the repos are aluminum as well. V/r Shawn

I'm not so sure about that. I have an aluminium one that I've had for a long time, and it looks pretty old.
Did they repop those back in the 80s?
The bummer with that badge is that it got repped to death and now it's hard to tell what is what.
The one on the blue/blue bike looks like a repop to me, but it's hard to tell now that there are so many of those around.

Here is a Schwinn standard ladies roadster I picked up last winter. Other than the grips and tires, a very original bike, and a tall frame 20 incher ta boot!! Morrow hub has date code of G2, so I'm thinking it's probably a late 37 or early 38...
1937 or 38 Schwinn ladies standard roadster pic2.jpg
1937 or 38 Schwinn ladies standard roadster pic1.jpg
1937 or 38 ladies Schwinn(as found) pic3.jpg

OK, as a newbie I am now going to show my ignorance here in my first official forum post.

Is there some particular significance to these badges? Why a train and plane? The reason I ask is that I only just bought a 1951 Phantom (B-17, I believe is the type) yesterday. I thought it would have had a badge that said SCHWINN vertically, but this is the badge it has on it.

In my case, the Schwinn lettering has a red background, while the Chicago, USA has blue. I know it is hard to tell from photo, but I already had it on my computer copied from the sellers ad.

To my perception the badge looked out of place as it is more of an Art Deco motif. That is, it would seem more appropriate for the 1930's bikes than those built in the 50's.

Would someone care to enlighten me?

Attachments

• Phantom fork tube.JPG
    Phantom fork tube.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 90
OldHarley, the large oval Schwinn badges had a hole spacing of about 3.25" and it appears your Phantom was drilled with the old hole spacing. That badge may be original to the bike.

There were hundreds of different badges used on Schwinns. Up until the early 50s you were just as likely to see a hardware store, department store, or private badge e.g. EZ Speed, Liberty, BF Goodrich, etc... than a Schwinn badge. Money says that badge is original to your bike. V/r Shawn

Back