When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manton & Smith help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Neanderthal77

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked this up Sunday and can't find much information on the bike or company. The truss rods are the coolest part about it. There were only a few pictures of truss rods this style. The seat is a B-8 mesinger. The pedals are Schwinn deluxe. Grips are Hunt Wilde. The tires are seem to be in very good shape, very soft and no cracking that I can see so far. They Pennsylvania tires made by Pennsylvania Athletic Products (Bicycle tire division). The fender braces are flat. Any information about manufacturer and date is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Frank
IMG_20150802_142947~2.jpg
IMG_20150802_181443~2.jpg
IMG_20150802_142757~2.jpg
IMG_20150802_142727~2.jpg
IMG_20150802_142710~2.jpg

cds2323 has a very nice color catalog showing that bike as it came, I have a poor black and white copy if that does not work for you. Believe yours to be late 30s with some schwinn stuff, chain guard and front wheel. My M and S built Nonpareil has a front sprocket like that. Nice old bike and I love the truss rods. The S stands for Jimmy Smith a bike racer of that era. Rick

Looks like a 1936-37 Manton and Smith bike. Has the locking front fork. The grips, pedals and rims are later and not original to the bike. You can pull the crank to check the date, M&S bikes of that period stamped the crank with a date. That'll give you a rough idea.

The truss rods were called swan style by M&S.

To see how it should look in color would be very cool. I took the crank off and can barely read any of the markings, but I think it says MS38 not entirely sure. Let me know what you guys think, it took me a while to see it. So I'm going to clean it up for now and see what kind of parts I run across. Thank you for the info, I'm surprised how few pictures I've come across for these.
IMG_20150803_185842~2.jpg
IMG_20150803_184215.jpg

Last edited:
1938 would be right too. Here's a color scan of the deluxe version, probably from 39-40.
Close to yours, has the swan truss rods. M&S used various chainrings, guards etc. on the bikes depending on badge etc. I believe you chainguard is correct. The bike was also available in a standard version without the tank/rack/light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 94
Back