When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can you get the model from the serial number?

-

scale

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a Schwinn 3 speed 26x1 3/4 wheeled bike i picked up last weekend. From the serial it appears to be a 1960 model. What models came as 3 speeds? I know the Corvette did. Are there others. This thing was originally black but has since been painted dull gold. I can see top tube remnants where it said Schwinn. The chain guard also appears to have just said Schwinn. It is really hard to make out so i could be reading that part wrong. Is there any way of finding the model?

I have a Schwinn 3 speed 26x1 3/4 wheeled bike i picked up last weekend. From the serial it appears to be a 1960 model. What models came as 3 speeds? I know the Corvette did. Are there others. This thing was originally black but has since been painted dull gold. I can see top tube remnants where it said Schwinn. The chain guard also appears to have just said Schwinn. It is really hard to make out so i could be reading that part wrong. Is there any way of finding the model?

Post a picture, sometimes their are clues to what it is, since it was painted it makes it harder. Typhoon, Tiger, Corvette , Jaguar and maybe others all had three speed option

And no, you cant tell from the serial number

The only way to figure out a model is by the bikes original components, decals, paint scheme and or color. If you have a 3 speed middleweight made in 1960 there are a few to choose from. If you know the difference between these models it will make it easier to possibly pin point what the bike was originally.

Jaguar
Panther
Corvette
Tiger
Speedster

1 (3) - Copy.jpg

This probably doesnt help much.

The gear shift is a SA yet the rear hub says Approved by Schwinn Made in Austria?

The fenders will narrow it down. Corvette and Jag had stainless fenders, Panther had chrome plated and the other models had painted fenders. Chrome or stainless fenders?

chrome for sure.
Panther it is then. Thank you guys!

I want it black again bu that gold has probably been on there too long to try to remove it at this point. IM still going to clean it up. It already looks 100x better than these photos.

If the fenders were stainless, it would have been a Corvette. The Jag did not have a top tube Schwinn decal. Since it was black, a complete strip and repaint should be an easy and inexpensive task. The chainguard should be the chrome piece if you remove all that gold paint.

It doesnt have a Panther seat, nor pedals , nor handlebars
I doubt very much it is a Panther
Some Typhoons came with painted fenders , some with chrome
Same with a Tiger

Last edited:

Okay, lets rethink all this and assume the fenders are not original. I just remembered the Panther had a tank so a top tube decal would be void. If in fact the fenders where changed out and there is/was a top tube decal, that means the frame could have been a Speedster, Corvette or Tiger. And that's if the fork, brakes and three speed set up wasn't added later.

Getting some Goof Off and gently cleaning the gold paint off the chainguard and seat post may be necessary to ID the bike any further.

Last edited:
Some Typhoons came with painted fenders , some with chrome
Same with a Tiger

We're supposedly talking about a 1960 model. No Typhoons until 1962. Depending on how late the 60 serial number date is, this could be a 1961 model. I guess now the deciding factors would be the decals on the top tube, seat post and guard if they could be identified. And if the chainguard was painted or chrome.

Back