When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Schwinn from original owner

-

Nickinator

Riding my '38 Deluxe Bluebird
How cool is it when you can buy a prewar Schwinn from the original owner? We drove 400 miles yesterday to pick this one up, was well worth the drive. Needs a bit more maintenance then will be a great rider. It's my favorite paint scheme and colors, love it. Thinking it's a '41 DX, S/N is F66400. Feel free to chime in if you have any different thoughts.

First two pics are of the original owner Dona, one as a little girl and one yesterday, she's in her 80's...story goes the Our Own Hardware in southern MN didn't have much to choose from when her parents took her to buy a bike, but I think she made a great choice. Her son told us that when they asked her recently if she wanted to sell the bike, she said she "probably wouldn't ride it anymore..." too funny. What a gal :)

Darcie/Nick

Dona girls 2 edited.jpg
Dona 80's edited.jpg
Dx ww tires 1 edited.jpg
Dx ww tires 2 edited.jpg
Dx ww tires 3 edited.jpg

Dona girls 2 edited.jpg

Dona 80's edited.jpg

Dx ww tires 1 edited.jpg

Dx ww tires 2 edited.jpg

Dx ww tires 3 edited.jpg

Great bike and story! Chain guard is 40 but I think the serial is 41. Paint scheme is 41. Could be a very late 40 build for 41 model year.

Last edited:
Doesn't get any better than this! Proof that it's completely orig:cool:(Except maybe for grips and tires?)
Right Mike good eye, we put a nice vintage set of BF Goodrichs tires on, and the correct grips. Also still needs a lens for the 3 rib Delta, and a correct reflector for the rack, which I think we have around here somewhere. It's last tune up was in the early 70's. Other than that- front bearings were toast, brakes and rear hub needed some work, but nothing major. Nice survivor for sure. :)

Darcie

Super nice bike, even better story!

Numbers look to '40 based on comparables on the list.

REC

WOW! Great story! Great bike! I'm the third owner of a few of the bikes in my collection. But I've never been the second owner. Catfish

Back