When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Info Out There On This Fork?

-
You get what you pay for and this is cheap...probably ok for cruising mellow trails at slow, reasonable speeds but will fail under hard use...fork on my bike was over $500, no comparison.

Are you riding offroad? If not, save your money.

If so, ride it rigid or watch eBay for a 1" Marzocchi fork.

I just bought a 1999 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo which is a nice triple butted steel frame and I'm putting a Kona Project 2 rigid steel fork on it.

Suspension forks are just extra weight if they're not good quality.

I do plan to ride offroad but I'm used to not having suspension.

Save your money. That's a heavy piece of junk. Try putting bars on with more of a rise to put more weight on the seat and less weight on your hands.

Another point worth noting is fork length. A suspension fork usually has a longer overall length. That could slow the handling a bit and make a bike feel a little clumsy. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad with older MTB's.

Facing a similar situation , I considered used forks as well as new

Consider that the cost to adapt from theaded to threadless or vice versa is a low and widens your limited options when looking for 1" forks ,

consider also the Shorter your steer tube requirement the more options you have .......

in my case
picked up a sweet 1993 cannondale MTB with broken fork , and spent 6 months looking for 1" cannondale fork

ended up with a few used forks I didnt finally decided to install ....
actually hunted for months on ebay for a 1 " .... tedious ! found a nice 1 " rigid and bot it only to find the seller mismeasured!

Finally went with a new suspension fork with 1" steer tube for $60 bucks shipped it was a suntour 100mm travel , I think a better option than above .. not rated for serious downhill , but as good or better what your bike likely originally came with

Kona has a nice rigid ( in limited / special runs ) by a top brand about $80 that is light and a great alternative. check bike wagon

The my used fork search route can be a needle in a haystack , and or the used one u get may need service , hence I ended up with a reject pile .

View attachment 481215
image5.jpeg

View attachment 481212

View attachment 481210

marzoochi stanchions.jpeg

Last edited:
The fork I bot for 60 was a suntour XCM , and there is some very helpful description on another forum ( mbtr ) where a suntour rep ( doug) describes specs and hierarchy of models

If my steer tube was a hair shorter , i would have put the Easton above on for period correct and performance

hope that helps

I will start off by saying that I don't have experience with the exact same fork you are asking about. I do have experience with similar modern no-name forks that have come on cheaper bikes. I think if you purchased this fork, there is a good chance you might end up disappointed.

I'm definitely not a guy who thinks everything that is not a name brand is junk. But I do occasionally purchase used bikes from estate / garage sales to fix up, and sell. In the past I have purchased several bikes with "generic suspension forks". I'm often really surprised at how poor the quality actually is, sometimes they flex so much I would consider them downright dangerous for off road use . Most were never intended for off road ridding, but just to allow the manufacturer to advertise a bike as full suspension.

If you plan to just leisurely ride and cruise around on the street, I'm sure you would be happy with the dampening this fork provides. If you actually plan to take your mountain bike off road, and ride semi-aggressively I believe you would find yourself to be much happier with a used fork off of the big auction site. I think there is a good probability that you could spend quite a bit less, and find yourself a much higher quality solution.

the link your original question pointed to, actually does look better than most. But what would scare me away is the fact that it is advertised for a beach cruiser, and not a offload mountain bike.

Back